Fresh install Windows 10 SSD Driver Issues

hitech118

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
Hi there,

I've just bought my first SSD and want to install windows 10 onto it. I used the media creation tool to install the OS onto a bootable USB but when I try to install the software onto my SSD I get an error. It reads:

"A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now."

I have tried hooking up my optical drive and inserting the disks that came with the motherboard and graphics card but it says it can't find any drivers. I'll attach an image below of the problem I'm facing.

I'm really stuck on this and any help would be truly appreciated.

Thanks

20151205_095553_HDR.jpg

Solution
If you're using a USB 3.0 port, it's possible that it doesn't have native support (but will work later after driver updates). Try your bootable USB on a 2.0 port.

amishra123

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I too have recently upgraded to an SSD for my laptop. Although my install went well, in my reading I feel like I came across a problem where some people had to download the driver for their SSD from the manufacturers website. The y could then just put it onto the same USB that their windows 10 was installed onto and select them when that pop up came up.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. Just thought I'd try and help!

amishra123

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009

I just re re-read your question/problem. I initially presumed that the ssd driver was missing. In which case you would put the "SSD Driver" folder onto the drive that windows 10 is installing from. Then when that pop-up came you could click on browse and point the "Load Driver" window to the SSD Driver.

pedrochin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
If you're using a USB 3.0 port, it's possible that it doesn't have native support (but will work later after driver updates). Try your bootable USB on a 2.0 port.

Solution

hitech118

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion, it worked! Turns out it was a combination of the USB stick, port and the file on it. I used a faster usb in a usb 2 port and success! Thank you