Qnix/Crossover don't have monitor scaling?

tare789

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I'd like to get an IPS monitor for the following:

• ■ Use with desktop at 1440p/96+hz with a GTX970 (it has DVI, HDMI, DP)
    ■ Use with laptop at 1080p/60hz. It has HDMI and VGA.

Are my thoughts about the below items correct?

• ■Single input Korean monitors (e.g., Qnix, Crossover) do not have a scaler so the laptop will not display if I get an HDMI-DVI adapter.
    ■ The GTX970 cannot not display 1080p to the monitor. If I'm wrong about this, does 1080p look different on a monitor with a scaler (e.g., QX2710 single input vs QX2710 with multiple inputs or a PG279Q)?
    ■ Multiple input Korean monitors cannot be overclocked without dropping frames.

Pretty much all monitors are "Korean" monitors. While I'm unsure as to whether some of what you say is true, I know for a fact that the majority of them are Korean so if one can do a thing, any SHOULD be capable of doing a thing, and it probably mainly depends on other factors such as what the manufacturer has implemented and what they've not.

Korea makes the vast majority of the worlds LCDs, it's produced at a factory complex about an hour and half from where I live. When they make these panels they start by making a gigantic one known as mother glass, they then cut it into pieces based on their target product. During this process they also identify manufacturing defects, which is where dead pixels come from. If a panel has no defects then it's sold as premium glass (A grade). If it has a defect but it's location is near the edge, they can cut the panel to a smaller size and discard the defective glass and sell it as premium. But if the defect is in a bad location and it's a very small one, they can sell it as B grade glass. If there are multiple defects or one defect is severe, they just discard the panel as waste. Now big name manufactures don't want to associate lower quality products with their brand name and instead have several budget subsidiaries that sell LCD's with that B grade glass. Sony displays use A grade glass, Samsung and LG both use their own A grade glass, I believe ASUS use's Samsung A grade glass in their ROG series, but Kwon use's Samsung's B grade glass. Apple also use's Samsung A grade glass but they've second sourced LG and I think a third manufacturer but not sure about that.

All those "Korean LCDs" you guys are seeing, those are budget subsidiaries of Samsung and LG or just a small local OEM who is taking that cheaper B grade class and selling it overseas. Because they are generic as hell, they aren't actually developing the firmware and just using off the shelf parts. There is a street in my city where I could easily acquire all the components to build my own LCD, even a bunch of guys who specializing in repairing or modifying LCDs. So that's what your getting, a bunch of OEM stock parts put together and sold with B grade glass. It's cheap and it works, but you get what you pay for.

-palladin9479

tare789

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Sure - you're right and I should have been more clear. I just edited the post title. I'm referring to monitors like those from Qnix which people refer to as Korean monitors.

Maybe my question is more general. My understanding is that single input DVI monitors do not have a scaler, which allows them to be overclocked. As a result, I'm wondering will the monitor still work if:

• ■ Have a computer with only HDMI and use an HDMI-DVI adapter (I've read that this doesn't work but do not understand why)
      ■ or have DVI and send a 1080p signal to it if the native resolution is 1440p. Does the monitor display the 1080p video as a "box" inside the screen with black borders?

In the case of a laptop, the GPU does the scaling. In the case of a monitor, the GPU driver gives you the option of using the monitor or the GPU for scaling. I use a DVI (GPU) to HDMI (TV) cable for video/audio. It's the same situation there. I have all of the options for choosing which does the scaling, etc.