Upgrade to windows 10 after reinstall Windows 8.1 on a new motherboard

GrumpyEtha

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Hi guys/girls !

I am currently running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro retail.
Here's the deal: I am upgrading my system to Skylake, so obviously that means a new motherboard. I know if I want to directly install Win10, I have to get a new license ; but if I just reinstall my Win8.1, will I be able to perform the upgrade again ?

Thanks in advance !

Solution
If you purchase a RETAIL Windows 8.1 then you can transfer that to another machine.
When you upgraded to Windows 10 you gain a Digital Entitlement license on your previous machine.
Not certain if performing the upgrade would legally invalidate that Windows 8.1 license or not.

Upgrading your motherboard/cpu will definately trigger activation requirement as in theory you are using it on different machine.
You can try to install Windows 10 (build 1511 or better), and use the Windows 8.1 product key and contact Microsoft to activate it.

You should have a window 10 Pro retail licence, so you should be able to reuse your window 8.1 key during the activation process if you use Window 10 1511 build.
You shouldn't need to reintall Window 8.1 and then upgrade.
First check if your window 10 Pro was upgraded to a retail licence.

GrumpyEtha

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

Thanks for the answer!

So I guess this only concerns OEM versions of Windows?
Q: What happens if I change the hardware configuration of my Windows 10 device?
A: If the hardware configuration of your Windows 10 device changes significantly (e.g. motherboard change) Windows may require re-activation on the device. This is the same experience as prior versions of Windows (e.g. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1). The free upgrade offer will not apply to activation of Windows 10 in such scenarios where hardware changes reset Activation.
(source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/reinstalling-windows-10-after-upgrade/578d0b7f-57e4-4893-b9d1-6cfac0d6290a?auth=1)

And I checked with slmgr /dlv and it seems to be retail: http://imgur.com/ZrziZKl

It will be for all licences. You should be able to reactivate it. If not, it will give you an option to use microsoft automated phone system to reactivate your licence.

It does whether you have an OEM or retail licence.
If you changing to the exact same model motherboard, then you might not set it off then.

psoohoo

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
If you purchase a RETAIL Windows 8.1 then you can transfer that to another machine.
When you upgraded to Windows 10 you gain a Digital Entitlement license on your previous machine.
Not certain if performing the upgrade would legally invalidate that Windows 8.1 license or not.

Upgrading your motherboard/cpu will definately trigger activation requirement as in theory you are using it on different machine.
You can try to install Windows 10 (build 1511 or better), and use the Windows 8.1 product key and contact Microsoft to activate it.

Solution

GrumpyEtha

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

Ok it's clear now, thank you.

My main concern now is what happens after July 29, 2016.
According to Microsoft's own terms, I should be able to transfer the license to a new device. But I've read multiple time while looking into it that the truth is that you can until July 29, 2016, via upgrading from a previous version of Windows, but after that, you would have to buy an upgrade or even a full version of Windows (source: multiple Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene's messages at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-do-i-transfer-windows-retail-license-after/6ee1dfe0-8adc-4cce-a46a-748963cf56d1?rtAction=1438237655029 - he doesn't seem to be from MS though...). I guess I will have to contact Microsoft directly on this one, which I will do since I bought Windows 8.1 earlier this year specificaly because of the free upgrade...

Thank you for your answers.

GrumpyEtha

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Quick update:

When I tried to boot the system to make sure it posts, it went straight to Windows 10, which seems to be running just fine so far.
I still had to reactivate Windows, which I was able to do with my Win8.1 key.

I may still contact the support to see if this will still work after the free upgrade offer ends.

Thanks again for your answers!

TRENDING THREADS