Getting 2 different predictions for screen size for Benq 1070- any insight would help

Dan Dread

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2014
I've used projector central and BenQ's throw ratio calculator.

Here are the stats for my room:

Ceiling height- 8 feet

room- about 13.5 feet by 13.5 feet

Here's a screen shot of the results from each calculator:

Projector Central

5UxkbjG.png

Benq Throw Ratio Calculator

4woum4Z.png

As you can see, Benq says I should have around a 120 inch screen, but projector central says it should be 100 inches.

Does anyone know for sure what it would be? I would really appreciate it.

Also, neither answers an additional question I have: how close can I sit to my screen without getting in the way of the projected image?

Solution
That is an HTPC with a Blu-Ray drive (see specs in my sig). If you look on the left side of the first image, you can see, from top to bottom, my Onkyo HT-S3200 HTIB, my Olevia 32" 720p HDTV, Comcast cable box (no longer have) and my HTPC (upgraded since this image). The blackout curtains are nothing special. I picked them up at Target years ago and recently saw some at Wal-Mart.

I've not had any issue with my manual pull down screen (it's several years old, now, no kids, no pets, handle with care). I'm sure if the spring ever broke, it would be a real pain, but that's probably just as likely as the motor going out on a motorized system.

-Wolf sends

Dan Dread

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2014
I wanted to get 120 if it will look good, but I don't have much more space in my room, so I want to know the max size picture I can get with the Benq 1070, so if 100 is the best I can do, I'll take that.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'd just recommend getting the larger screen anyway. In a proper viewing environment, you're not going to notice a few inches of unlit white screen on the sides/top and bottom of the screen.

As for your other question, for a 1080p projection of that size, you really don't want to sit any closer than about 6 feet anyway. Otherwise, you'll start to notice the "screen door" effect. Whether you're in the way or not depends on your seating arrangement.

-Wolf sends

Dan Dread

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2014
I guess what I'm trying to figure out for sure is if the Benq 1070 makes a 100 inch screen or a 120 inch screen from 10 feet away, since the 2 calculators I used give me different results.

Wolfshadw

Titan
As I recommended, just go with a 120" screen. If the projector only produces a 100" screen, you're still not going to notice it. Besides, the Projector Central site even throws a caution out saying that their figures they have may have changed and you should go with what the manufacturer states.

-Wolf sends

Edit: And I have an Optoma HD20 DLP projector on an Elite Screens pull down / 135" diagonal. I can start to notice the screen door effect from around 6 ft.

Dan Dread

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2014
Cool cool. Thank you both for the answers, it really helps. Any recommendations for a motorized 120 inch screen? Should I get black or white? It's for a bedroom (I'm getting black out curtains and shades).

Wolfshadw

Titan
@Suzuki - Haven't had your coffee yet? ;) (120" = 10')

@Dan Dread - Can't help you there. I have no experience with motorized screens nor with black screens. I've got shades and black out curtains as well and I have no problems watching sporting events on the big screen in the middle of the afternoon (my apartment even faces Southwest).

-Wolf sends

Dan Dread

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2014
cool cool. My bedroom walls are white, do you think that's an issue? Should I paint the wall the screen's in front of black to make it stand out more? And I was planning on putting the screen in front of the windows (hence the motorized capabilities)... should black out curtains be good enough to make sure no light is affecting the picture from behind the screen? I could put the screen on a different wall but it might not be feasible with the way my room is configured... What kind of shades/curtains do you have? I'm willing to throw down a good chunk of change to get the best.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Here's what my set up looks like:

Full Daylight:
HTPC004.jpg

Shades down, Blackout Curtains drawn, Screen down:
HTPC010.jpg

Shades down, Blackout Curtains drawn, Screen down, Projector On:
HTPC011.jpg

The windows face west and these images were taken late morning/early afternoon. As you can see, my walls are an off-white and really don't make a difference (at least, not to me).

Wish I still had my Iron Man image posted.

-Wolf sends

Dan Dread

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2014
Woah... that looks awesome... just wondering what do you use to watch your movies? Is that a PS4 or a PC? I need to get some nice curtains like that.

So you pull your screen down manually? I heard that can cause issues down the road (just something I've read). You've had no problems with manual? Maybe I can save some money going that route.

I stand corrected then... :)

OP, people make a huge deal about white walls, and even a white ceiling, but I guarantee that your picture will look sharp. These projectors at this price range aren't made for serious home theater setups, where everything is customised from the ground up, those are way more expensive. I feel like you're overthinking this.

A pull down projector screen isn't expensive, and it does create "waves" over time, or whatever you want to call them. But it's not enough to draw you out from the whole theater experience, big screen = big smile.

If you can go with a more permanent solution, there are fixed frame screens as well, though obviously won't look great infront of windows. If you're going to have your screens infront of windows, the light leak from behind, isn't going to directly impact picture contrast, but it will look a bit odd with light around the screen. Not to mention the heat from the sun, so as long as the screen doesn't get too hot, you'll be ok. If there's any light leak, free bias light? :)

Wolfshadw

Titan
That is an HTPC with a Blu-Ray drive (see specs in my sig). If you look on the left side of the first image, you can see, from top to bottom, my Onkyo HT-S3200 HTIB, my Olevia 32" 720p HDTV, Comcast cable box (no longer have) and my HTPC (upgraded since this image). The blackout curtains are nothing special. I picked them up at Target years ago and recently saw some at Wal-Mart.

I've not had any issue with my manual pull down screen (it's several years old, now, no kids, no pets, handle with care). I'm sure if the spring ever broke, it would be a real pain, but that's probably just as likely as the motor going out on a motorized system.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you're going to have your screens infront of windows, the light leak from behind, isn't going to directly impact picture contrast, but it will look a bit odd with light around the screen. Not to mention the heat from the sun, so as long as the screen doesn't get too hot, you'll be ok. If there's any light leak, free bias light? :)

I would note that the blackout curtains I have are white on the window side and back on the room side. The white side reflects the light and heat from the back of the screen (which on mine, is black).

-Wolf sends

Dan Dread

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2014
Does this look like a good deal? It's 120 inch motorized screen from Giantex http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NOG424C/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

I went ahead and purchased the Benq 1070. Pretty exciting! I got 4 years of insurance, hopefully that was the right move. Just need to get a screen and some kind of audio system and I'm good! :)

Wolfshadw

Titan
Looks to be almost too good of a deal. My manual screen I managed to snag on a 70% off deal ($125) and that's where I've seen prices when I last looked (maybe six months ago). I'm a bit surprised at the price Amazon listed for that 135" screen (and having checked, that is the model screen I have).

-Wolf sends

TRENDING THREADS