Help choosing HDMI that displays 4k @ 60FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
No such thing. All HDMI 1.4(a) cables can handle HDMI2.0

Now, you MUST HAVE HDMI2.0 COMPATIBLE EQUIPMENT to have 4K60 output. It is impossible any other way.

whiteandneardy

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015

So HDMI 1.4(A) can handle 4K At 60FPS?

No, HDMI 1.4a cannot handle 4K60. HDMI is not related to the cable that carries it's name, the cable has been the same since pretty much the beginning.

For 4k60 you MUST have HDMI 2.0 compatible TV and computer, or use something other than HDMI

whiteandneardy

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015

Ok, I have the equipment but I need the wire.

whiteandneardy

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015

Ok, Thanks

Andrea_36

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016

The correct answer for HDMI cables to get 60 fps vs the 30 you may be stuck at now is your cable rating.

HDMI cables come in 2 basic forms, Normal and High Speed.

When folks say any cable will basically work, thats incorrect. You need to verify you have the right type, normal speed Hdmi cables is approx 1.7gbs High Speed is approx 7.8gbs. So this is where you need to check your cable and insure its High speed rated;. HDMI port versions are not important aka 1.4 - 1.4.1 - 2.0 hdmi versions ( this is where folks claim any cable will work, they are mistaken in they are telling you port versions not the speed cable rating which is where any cable wont just work, regardless of port versions ). If the cable doesn't say high speed on it, then you got a low speed cable aka 30fps capped at 4k, most high speed cables someplace have that printed on them you get 60 fps at 4k.

For 4k, video card need card more then 5gbs video, basically dont buy any video card that not an 8gb card for smoother 4k. The memory to push pretty colors gets capped out under 5g limit on low memory video cards, you get more latency and screen tearing lower fps and such if the card is 5gbs or less. AMD or Nvidia both brands same deal the 5gb memory crunch point for getting better gaming and fps details at 4k.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

So glad I found this thread.
The 4K 60fps upgrade process has been troubling me for ages.

I have a home theater 5.1 surround system:
Currently I own a 1080p 55" HDTV.
My AV Receiver is Pioneer VSX 823-K.
I have a 10 meter High Speed HDMI cable bought recently connecting my PC to the Receiver.
My TV is connected to the Rec with a 3m High Speed HDMI cable.
Finally I have a PS3 and a PS4 (standard) connected to the Rec with (supposedly- not 100% sure about one) High Speed HDMI cables).
All cables are 1.4 HDMI, or at least never said 2.0 on the box.
My GPU is GTX 980.

Now here's the important question:
IF I choose to upgrade and replace my TV to a 4K HDR TV in the future (when the technology won't be that fresh, expensive and under-evolved) -
>> WILL I NEED A NEW AV RECEIVER TO PLAY 4K + 60FPS ??? <<

So in other words do I need to buy a Receiver dubbed as: "HDMI 2.0 - 4K 60FPS Compatible/Certified AV Receiver" ?

Also, will I need a new "HDR Compatible/Certified Receiver" to display 4K with HDR (and 60fps)?

Please I really need a clear, precise answer. The whole process and perquisites (for 4k + 60fps + HDR) are extremely confusing, deceptively so.

Edit: oh and do I need to replace my Cables or am I good to go for future 60FPS 4K (HDR) once I upgrade? The words "High Speed HDMI" are printed on the cable itself (near the connectors). I don't remember what the box specified, but I buy high quality stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.