Low budget, powerful CPU

Decimus

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
Ok, so I'm building my own custom PC, the processors I've been focusing on mostly include Intel, my main thought at the moment was the Intel I7-4790K Processor, recently I started looking into AMD processors though and have found one or two substitutes for like a third of the price of the 4790K but they have less cache. So my main question is, what quad core processors with around 4GHz processing power and a decent amount of cache could I get, preferably keeping the price below £250 please

aeko97

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015

Around that budget I think the best you could get is actually the i7-4790K. It has got "only" 4 cores and 8 threads working at 4 GHz which is a beauty. TDP is reasonably good for its performance (88W). It has all the "Intel goodies" like the Intel Hyper-Threading Technology. Intel CPUs are overall better than AMD when it comes to power consumption / performance, as well as the single-core performance. AMD cores are weaker and on some editions there are "hidden/ghost" cores. In my opinion, Intel is more trustworth despite being more expensive than AMD. Good luck!