System upgrade. How to go?

Zebulbas

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
Hi!

I'm currently running with a Phenom II 965BE cpu, with 8 gig ddr3 ram, and a GTX 760 on an Asrock 880G Extreme 3 and planning on upgrading soon since my hardware is pretty outdated.

Im wondering if I should buy a Intel system (skylake or nah?) now and then get a new graphics card (might be worth waiting for Pascal) or the other way around and get a gtx 970 now and cpu later when it might get even cheaper.
Im looking for a system that can hold up with coming games for the next 5 years and they should be playable in high/ulta settings.
price range vary from 600-1000 Euro. Preferably cheapest possible ofc (performance per dollar)

Also a little qeustion off-topic. Does my current cpu bottleneck my gtx 760 ?

Im very thankful for every helpful reply! :)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think your present CPU is bottlenecking your GTX 760. I base that on the fact that my Ph II X4 965 @ 4.0 GHz seems to be fine with my GTX 960 FTW+. No BN that I can detect yet watching CPU usage vs GPU usage.
As to which upgrade route to go, I'd definitely go the Intel route. But for instant gratification, grab the GTX 970 now. Even with some CPU bottleneck, you will see an improvement in gaming with the Ph II and 970. Then later, it can be moved to the Intel build.