Need help with upgrading monitor.

mikaeldalc

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
Hey guys, so here's the thing. I'm looking to upgrade my Dell ( http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16824260109 )
To a 1440p monitor. I love my Dell but id like to get bigger in size and feel like my GTX 970 is going to waste with a 1080p display.

I've literally been researching this subject for the last 2 days, non stop. Yet, I'm still conflicted.

I don't know the in's and out's of what's acceptable and what's not.

I have a budget of around 350 max.

I'd like to go 27 inches seeing that I've read a lot of people saying that 27 is the sweet spot for 1440p. I've seen this monitor ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QS0AKVK/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_xbkzwbM266FA6 ) .... It's a 25 inch 1440p monitor with a good asking price. The reviews are good and I've seen some positive YouTube reviews. Don't mind the size but maybe you guys and help direct me to other displays with my 350 budget.

Any help would be awesome.

I have my Ps4, Xbox one, and of course my gaming rig all hooked up to my monitor using an HDMI switcher and a Dvi to HDMI adaptor.

(PLEASE, NO KOREAN DISPLAYS)

*Also, I don't do competitive gaming on my pc so I don't need the fastest display or any kind of special gaming features if that means saving on the price.

Solution

Yet you say you are awaiting Pascal. The point is, will you be satisfied with 1440p, once you get the Pascal, or will you be yet again feeling it's underutilized like your 970 is with 1080p? Are you really sure?

I'm not advocating perpetually waiting, I'm advocating avoiding upgrading every year or two, because it sounds like you're on target to ending up in the same situation.

Upgrades, esp ones you keep a while like monitors, should be well planned ahead.

Just make sure whatever you get you try to find feedback on how well it scales, because one 970 cannot run ALL games well at 1440p. You will likely have to either drop settings or run 1080p on a few games, IF you play most popular games that is.

The state of PC gaming is getting to the point of a LOT of games releasing in garbage condition, and a high res monitor that scales well can help you through that.

If it were me, I'd seriously consider holding out for Pascal, then going 4k.

mikaeldalc

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
I do plan on upgrading to Pascal when released, but the computer/technology field is always getting better and better on a daily basis. If one was to wait for the next big thing, then u might as well wait for the next big thing after that.

Yet you say you are awaiting Pascal. The point is, will you be satisfied with 1440p, once you get the Pascal, or will you be yet again feeling it's underutilized like your 970 is with 1080p? Are you really sure?

I'm not advocating perpetually waiting, I'm advocating avoiding upgrading every year or two, because it sounds like you're on target to ending up in the same situation.

Upgrades, esp ones you keep a while like monitors, should be well planned ahead.

Solution