Cannot Achieve 144hz with Alienware 15 and Asus VG248QE

lordrenrew

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
Did massive searching a could not find an answer.

The Asus VG248QE supports DisplayPort, Dual-link DVI-D, and HDMI ports. Currently I am using an Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter, it looks like it's dual link, but I do not believe it's active.

No option to on the Nvida Control panel to change resolution or frame rate. Can only be achieved through the CPU control panel which I've heard is normal for laptops. When I try to do a custom resolution and bump up the refresh it says "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity".

Is the simple solution buy a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable or is it not possible the output ports are connected to the CPU and not GPU? Will buying the right cable magically put resolution and refresh rates into the Nvidia Control Panel?

I believe this is the DVI Adapter I have: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Apple-Displayport-Adapter-Mb570ll/dp/B014Z7YJ4Q/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=21EhsV1ioIL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR135%2C135_&refRID=0R7WPFHCQC44Q5QAEKPJ

Thanks guys!

bignastyid

Titan

lordrenrew

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015

Understand that they are expensive. Thanks for confirming that it is not dual link. Since the monitor supports a DisplayPort I should purchase a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. That would fix the problem correct?

bignastyid

Titan

Yes, assuming the gpu supports it.

lordrenrew

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015

I have an NVIDIA 980M.

Going back to one of my previous questions. Getting the right cable will that allow me to change refresh rates in the NVIDIA Control Panel? As it stands no such options are present and the only settings that show up are "3D Settings".

camellion

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

No you cant because the NVIDIA is manually conected as rendering GPU to the ports of onboard iGPU, so you just can setup the resolution and refresh rate at intel driver.

there is a post on another forum that explain that change the driver to intel default driver should enable 144hz refresh rates but couldnt never reproduce and confirm that solution.