What should I do with my old PC Parts?

aces19

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015
I have just built a new PC and am wondering what to do with the parts from my old one. The parts are not quite outdated.
I could sell them, but that would be my last resort.
I was also thinking of making a home server, anything on that?
Any suggestions?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Home server would work but most people don't need one.
EBay is always a good option.
Having a working video card and PSU around is never a bad thing if the PSU can power what you have now.
My personal just upgrades on black Friday. Total cost 937 with 70 bucks in pending rebates.
PC I was using at the time.
i5 2500K, motherboard, 16GB 2133 memory, AMD 7970 card, TX 850 PSU, bunch of drives, extra case from a customer upgrade, H100 CPU cooler already replaced with a R1 air cooler because it was 3 years old.
Parts bought Seasonic 650 Watt PSU, GA Z97 UD3H MB, MSI GTX 980 card, used a combo deal to get a DVD player for 2 bucks, got a 2X4GB set of memory free with the motherboard.
Reused my case, drives, memory, added the new video card, PSU, and motherboard and now I have a good gaming PC to sell for the 600/700 buck range so my upgrades will cost me like 200 bucks.
If you work it right you can recoup most of the money spent selling your parts but selling a working PC will usually get you more back.

aces19

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015

I really think I could use a home/family server. Do you know anything on that?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
You can use all your PC's in a home network without having a server but that would depend on the intended use usually 100% not needed. If you have all the parts to make it function as a server then you have a working PC to sell.