Can I get a job in the field of IT with an irrelevant undergrad but with a master's degree in IT?

djino96

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
I'm currently studying BS Civil Engineering and I'm hating every second of it. I can't shift now because I'm in my third year.

I'm planning to take MIT. Will I have the same qualifications with someone who had IT as their undergrad?

Solution
In my opinion there are many paths into IT. It is also very broad. Some jobs require no Degree to a 2 year degree, while others require 4 years. I am currently a Senior majoring Information Technology and I think that for someone who has a non IT degree will not have the same qualifications. Just as an IT will not have the same qualifications as an Engineer.

Though, I think it will not be hard for u to understand IT since you are coming from a pretty technical degree. Ultimately, how comfortable are you with computers? Some things that I learned while in school that I feel that most IT Students with a Bachelors degree should know are Networking (Routers, Switches, Firewall), Linux, Understand how the Internet works and Troubleshooting...

kenghtt

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
In my opinion there are many paths into IT. It is also very broad. Some jobs require no Degree to a 2 year degree, while others require 4 years. I am currently a Senior majoring Information Technology and I think that for someone who has a non IT degree will not have the same qualifications. Just as an IT will not have the same qualifications as an Engineer.

Though, I think it will not be hard for u to understand IT since you are coming from a pretty technical degree. Ultimately, how comfortable are you with computers? Some things that I learned while in school that I feel that most IT Students with a Bachelors degree should know are Networking (Routers, Switches, Firewall), Linux, Understand how the Internet works and Troubleshooting computers problems.

I have seen engineering students go into MIT Degrees and that is totally fine, but I am not sure if you will need to take any pre reqs before taking the Masters' Courses.

Solution