First Gaming Build -- Good Choices? AMD FX-8320 & PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB

WitchOfTheWilds

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Hello, everyone!

Since my laptop of 5 years is finally starting to go, I've decided to invest in a nice desktop. I have been stalking the pcpp site along with these forums, and I've noticed so many people are willing to give advice on builds, so I think I have a decent starting point. I will be using this computer mostly for gaming, although I do photo editing and graphic design as a hobby (nothing my laptop can't handle at 4gb of ram, though).

Anyway, I will be playing mostly open-world RPGs. Dragon Age: Inquisition, Witcher 3, Skyrim, etc. I know my setup below is missing an SSD, but I plan on getting one, it's just not on the list. I also plan to use my 28" Phillips 1080p Smart TV as the monitor. Oh, and I currently have no plans to OC, and I would prefer to stay in the $600-700 range.

I am open to any suggestions! Thank you :)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4mc37P

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($74.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 2300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-118CB/BEBE DVD/CD Drive ($17.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $586.69

Rocket_Jas

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
If you have no plans to OC then the build you have is fine. If you did want to overclcok I would recommend getting a 990FX motherboard.

ben001

Distinguished

Hello,
There are few things you need to rectify.
- An Intel core i5 performs better & faster than AMD FX Eight cores. They are power efficient and performs better in all aspects than an AMD chip.

- The CX model from Corsair is a base model power unit & a decent power supply for low-mid range budget builds, but due to its low quality capacitors, it could be less reliable in the future. I would not recommend any base model PSU's from Corsair with your above listed setup. Anyway's, I managed a better power supply within your overall amount.

This would be my suggestion :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $692.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-07 04:39 EST-0500

WitchOfTheWilds

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Thanks for your reply!

About the PSU -- my brother-in-law had some issues with his first build until he used a Corsair, although perhaps he just didn't have enough power overall. I was originally going to go with EVGA because I read some people had a preference for it, but I found out more people didn't like it. Then I read Corsair was more reliable, and now it seems to be in dispute. I also chose the Corsair because it's semi-modular. Will the non-modular XFX give me trouble?

Also, about how much of a performance/FPS difference would there be between the i5 and the AMD? (The almighty question!) I've been going back and forth between them for a month.

And it's funny you chose the Thermaltake case because I had that in my sights for a little while as well, but I prefer cases without a window so maybe the H22 version instead. Although I really like the sleek look of the Fractal Design case.

Thanks again.

WitchOfTheWilds

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Ah, wonderful! :)

Would you personally OC? I know I would need some fans and a CPU cooler if I did (on top of a different motherboard).

ben001

Distinguished
The Power supply unit is the most important part in a PC build. Not all PSU's from corsair & evga are bad, check this link-:http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html Tier 1 & 2 use quality capacitors. The XFX pro 550w have two 6pin connectors & 6+2 pin connectors, and the R9 380 only needs Two 6 pin connector, so that won't be a problem.

Even if you will OC the 8320 to 4.5Ghz, most of the times the i5 4460 will outperform the AMD one. So, stick with 4460 @better price/performance and the 4460 over 8320 makes more sense: Runs quieter, cooler, and like i said earlier power efficient.

Really?. That was some random pick though. The chase doesn't matter in a build, just make sure you got sufficient space for your GPU. That Fractal case will block your drive bays and you will be limited in using drives cages.

WitchOfTheWilds

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Okay, you have convinced me about the PSU and CPU; I made a separate parts list with them included.

I'm not sure about the case yet, but that's only because I'm super picky and if I'm going to look at it everyday, I want to like it (and have it be sufficient for my needs, cooling, space, etc.). I'm between the Corsair 200R and the Thermaltake H22 for now, but I suppose it comes down to budget and what I like more.

Again, thanks!

ben001

Distinguished
You're welcome. Just make sure all listed parts are available at your place. I hope you will get it.

and it's not only you, most of the OP get fancy with their chassis but we put most the dollars on better components. Later, the rest dollars are used on peripherals or others. Putting dollars on a case sounds like a bad investment. We make sure that each & every parts are correctly arranged with price/performance ratio.

Good luck !

WitchOfTheWilds

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

I agree!

Okay, another thing. Is the Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core better or worse than the Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core? I've found both of them for the same price.

ben001

Distinguished
Actually, I'd go with the 6400. The new Skylake is slightly better than previous Gen. i5 4460 but it depends how much you can spend as DDR4 is going to be more expensive and that may exceed your overall budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-GAMING 3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card ($178.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($56.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $699.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-08 01:30 EST-0500

WitchOfTheWilds

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Hmm...okay. I just remembered that I bought the DDR3 memory to make sure I qualified for a discount, so I'd have to re-buy that on top of the overall increased cost of DDR4 anyway. I think I'll go with the 4460 as I think it will last me until it's time for an upgrade.

the skylake ipc increase over haswell is only about 6%. its hardly a noticeable increase, and that is clock for clock. the 4460 is actually either equal to or slightly faster than the 6400 depending on how the available turbo binning is applied to the cores. i would get haswell now while its cheap since its price will skyrocket as soon as stock is depleted. the 4460 will do very nicely.

WitchOfTheWilds

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Oh, awesome! Also, in response to the part list you posted -- I like the case (I've been looking at that one, but am iffy because of the size of it). As for the video card, any reason you switched it to a factory oc? I didn't have plans to overclock. Maybe I'm just a bit nervous to do that with my first build as I don't want to fry anything. Also, the mobo you chose is cheaper but only supports 1333/1600 ram. Since I went ahead and got 1833 ram, would it still work but just bottleneck it? And would this be a problem? *as I realize the mobo I currently have doesn't support 1833 either, ha, whoops*

power color is kinda an off brand. its not really a bad brand or bad card, but there are better options. sapphire is amds exclusive and premier board partner. the factory overclock on the card is small. that card should overclock another 10% higher than it already is, though you dont have to.

the 1866 ram will just run at 1600. you could likely tighten up the timing though, but its not a big deal. it was just quality ram at a reduced price and for a $1-3 more you have a chance at running a lower latency since it will be running at slower than spec.

WitchOfTheWilds

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Ah, okay! And what would you say between the Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard and the "Gaming" edition you listed earlier? Is there enough of a difference? I ask because I've been reading some reviews about DOA "gaming" versions but the other version seems to have better reception.

if you can find a h97 for near the same price that would work too. the gaming edition is higher on gigabytes tier list than the ds3h. otherwise i would suspect that they are virtually identical. the only advantage i see for the gaming revision is it has a better audio controller. advantages for the ds3h is it has 4 ram slots instead of 2 and a couple more usb hubs. the rest of the vrms, mosfets, and other specs are going to be identical. the ds3h would work fine if your not using a very nice 5.1 audio setup or a $250 set of headphones, you would be hard pressed to tell the audio differences.

ben001

Distinguished

Yes, it's better to go with the cheaper one. The difference between them is minimal, you won't notice that much increase in game performance, but like i said, if you can push your budget a little extend from your actual then its definitely an improvement over 4460.

Power color is a decent brand, they are good, but nothing special. For Sapphire, it's got a better cooler, better customer service, and like nikoli707 said, a reputable brand. You can include a Sapphire as it doesn't cost much $15 more than power color.

TRENDING THREADS