How to remove Windows (Old) folder that System says is still in use!

davidnavratil

Honorable
Jul 17, 2014
I had installed Windows 10 on my PC and worked great until I messed around with it. I did a reinstall (I think it is called) but left my data on system and everything was fine. There is now a
large folder in my C drive called Windows (Old). I've used every method I know of to remove it including some of those "Take Ownership" software offered on the net. I've used "disk cleanup" etc. Each time I go and hit delete on the keyboard Windows says can't delete files because they are being used now!! Any suggestions would be appreciated - Tks, David
PS This is on a PC not a laptop!

Solution

To delete this folder, use the (start with admin control )Windows Disk Cleanup tool. On Windows 10, click the Start button, search for “Disk cleanup”...

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

To delete this folder, use the (start with admin control )Windows Disk Cleanup tool. On Windows 10, click the Start button, search for “Disk cleanup” in the Start menu, and launch the Disk cleanup application. You can also right-click the C:\ drive in File Explorer, select Properties, and click the “Disk Clean-up” button under the General tab.

Click the “Clean up system files” button. You’ll see “Previous Windows installation(s)” appear in the list, and Disk Cleanup will tell you how much space those files are taking up. Check that option and use Disk Cleanup to wipe the previous Windows system files away. You can also use this tool to wipe other unnecessary files taking up space on your system drive.

Solution

You might want to reformat again... those things are nothing but trouble.

As for files in use, most likely you just have files being scanned by something. Restart the machine and disk cleanup should work.