Motherboard or graphics card faulty? (URGENT)

Maths_

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
So my motherboards hdmi port is not working and neither is the hdmi port for my graphics card working, I'm getting sent a new one from my insurer, is it the
Motherboard that is faulty or the graphics cards if so why.
Shall I wait for the graphics card and see if it makes a difference?

Solution

ok, so you have plugged in the ps4 to the same display you are trying to use with the computer?
There are many reasons and ways someone could potentially cause their hdmi to not work properly, sadly, going through everything with little knowledge can be difficult. So, if the hdmi cable, and the display itself have been verified to work, the issue could be a few things. try plugging in the VGA cable and the HDMI to the display at the same time (both on the video card, not the motherboard). use the vga output to see if the pc is recognizing and sending a signal out of the HDMI. Also, some motherboards will completely disable...

Tcinator

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
the HDMI on the video card and the one on the motherboard are usually on different drivers, different configs, and its extremely odd both would be inop. Have you tried another tv or monitor? the only common equipment here is the tv and hdmi cable. its entirely possible the hdmi port on the tv is not working... Please try this.

Tcinator

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

you should try plugging in another hdmi device, like a dvd player or xbox or cable tv box. anything to test the hdmi ports of your display.

Tcinator

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

ok, so you have plugged in the ps4 to the same display you are trying to use with the computer?
There are many reasons and ways someone could potentially cause their hdmi to not work properly, sadly, going through everything with little knowledge can be difficult. So, if the hdmi cable, and the display itself have been verified to work, the issue could be a few things. try plugging in the VGA cable and the HDMI to the display at the same time (both on the video card, not the motherboard). use the vga output to see if the pc is recognizing and sending a signal out of the HDMI. Also, some motherboards will completely disable the on board video when a graphics card is installed. play around, it cant hurt I guess. lastly, have you made any changes recently to the hardware or software that you can think of? driver updates, new video card?

There is no harm in troubleshooting while you wait for the replacement to come. its a learning experience either way.

Solution

Maths_

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Yeh I guess, the engineer at my pc insurer said its just a case of replacing the video card. Thanks for the help , appreciate it. I have tried so many solutions, it's actually unbelievable. I will let you know how the progress goes along when the video card comes