Monitor loses connection to PC during games!

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
This happens mostly on CSGO but sometimes i lose connection from my monitor to pc mid game. This isn't the computer crashing of sorts, i can hear the game play and alt tabbing send me to the desktop (game sounds stop but display still not working). I can hear voice in calls too but the video just doesn't work, i've tried switching to my IGP which does nothing too but i cant switch displays to see if its that. What do i do?

Specs:
CPU: I5-4690k (Overclocked 3.8Ghz all cores)
Cooler: Stock (I know but i don't go above 70*C so great!)
GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB (Happens both stock-clocked and overclocked)
MOBO: MSI Z97 PC Mate
RAM: DDR3 Vengeance 2x4GB Kit (Overclocked at 2600Mhz)
PSU: Corsair 700W 80 Plus Silver (Unsure exact model | This also happened on a EVGA 600W 80 Plus Bronze)
Storage: 1TB Seagate SSHD. (Also happened on a 500MB hard drive disk.)
Monitor: BenQ RL2450HT

Anyways, I've tried updating and changing drivers, i've tried beta drivers too, all for my graphics card. Really unsure what could be causing it. Part of me is saying it is my monitor. By the way If it helps, I'm alsoways on my native resolution of 1080p

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
HDMI ports don't change anything and neither does re plugging. I changed to DVI a sec as it happened again and it didn't do anything either.

-Edit-

Different HDMI leads do nothing either.

Put simply you have overclocked your system memory and your cpu.

And no doubt the system bus of the motherboard.

Back the clock speeds off on your cpu, and your memory.

The problem is one or the other, you have reached a point where the cpu and system memory cannot keep in sync.
Or are starting to produce errors.

Down step each by 100Mhz and test for stability.
Did you do a prime 95 test when you overclocked the cpu and memory before running any game ?
The harder you push a CPU in Mhz, and the memory in the system the more voltage it requires to keep stable under load such as gaming.

If the system becomes stable after down clocking the cpu speed and the system memory.
It tells you that a small increase in the cpu core voltage and ram may be needed of about 0.250Mv steps to keep the system stable while under load. At the prior clock settings, before you down clocked each Cpu/memory by the 100Mhz.

Or just leave the cpu and memory clocks at the slighter lower speed settings if the system becomes stable, and the loss of signal to your monitor stops happening.

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
My ISP and I were having problems. Hence the late reply. Anyway!

I ran my final overclock for a long 8 hours and MSI Intel Extreme tunner reported the clocks for both memory and CPU are stable. I actually didn't need to add any voltage for a stable stress test result, which i doubted at first.

However i fixed them problem unsuspectingly... I upped the core clock and cache for the CPU to 4Ghz and i havent had a single crash, stutter, black/blue screen once. Problem fixed and performance is great. Still didn't need to change the voltage, i think the CPU couldn't keep with the RAM. For some reason, I didn't and I still don't think it would be the CPU being unable to sync with the RAM.

However i did tone down the RAM overclock to 2400Mhz. It actually could have been that but i suspect the CPU clock change made a bigger deal.