Windows 10 moving to SSD from HDD after changing motherboard

scott1903

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
I am upgrading my computer by replacing the case, motherboard and processer as well as adding a SSD and more memory. I plan to use the existing power supply, HDD, video board etc. I also got a copy of Windows 10 as I understand that you need a new copy if you change the motherboard. Would it be easier to get Windows 10 working on the HDD, add the SSD and then move Windows to the SSD along with a couple of other programs, or install the SSD, Windows onto the SSD, followed by adding the HDD to the machine? If clean installing Windows on the SSD, how do you delete the operating system on the HDD as well as get the other programs on the HDD to work?

Solution
Welcome to the community, Scott!

It's highly recommended to do a fresh install straight onto the SSD. There's no need for you to go through the extra trouble of clean installing onto the HDD and then cloning onto the SSD. Just make sure you have only the SSD plugged into the SATA ports at the time of the Windows Installation, having both the SSD & the HDD connected might cause an OS confusion. Once you have Windows 10 up and running onto the solid-state drive, you can simply plug back the HDD and reformat it through Disk Management. If you have any data on it from your previous system, make sure you have already backed it up elsewhere.
Here's an SSD & HDD optimization guide that you might find useful...
Welcome to the community, Scott!

It's highly recommended to do a fresh install straight onto the SSD. There's no need for you to go through the extra trouble of clean installing onto the HDD and then cloning onto the SSD. Just make sure you have only the SSD plugged into the SATA ports at the time of the Windows Installation, having both the SSD & the HDD connected might cause an OS confusion. Once you have Windows 10 up and running onto the solid-state drive, you can simply plug back the HDD and reformat it through Disk Management. If you have any data on it from your previous system, make sure you have already backed it up elsewhere.
Here's an SSD & HDD optimization guide that you might find useful: http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Good luck! Keep me posted if you have more questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Xuebao61

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
To add onto what SuperSoph_WD said, if you don't want to backup and reformat your HDD, you can simply delete the "Windows" folder on it once you're sure Windows is fully installed on your SSD and your machine is recognizing it as your boot drive. I did this with my own SSD + HDD setup, and it worked just fine.

Conner_38

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

Hey sorry for asking and I know this is outdated but I have a similar question. I am also upgrading my motherboard and transferring to an ssd but I want to keep my current windows 10 Pro. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3279385/parts-transferring-windows.html#19056093 (Link to my thread).