USB Ports won't work right away after latest 10 update

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Hi everyone.

I am having a weird issue with Windows 10 on my custom built machine. I have Windows 10 Pro version 1511. I just today started having this issue. I am assuming it was after the latest update because I had no issues on the initial bootup.

I fired up the pc, logged on like normal, and nothing out of the ordinary happened. Windows tells me it has an update installed and needs to reboot. Not doing anything important, I decided to reboot and get it out of the way.

Well, upon rebooting, it goes to my locked screen like normal. I click on my mouse to bring up my pin screen to unlock the pc, and the mouse won't work. I look at the bottom of it, and the optical light isn't even lit. Keyboard's number lock light is on, but nothing on the keyboard responds either. I turn on a USB audio interface I have, and it shows that it won't connected to the pc like it should either. It is like all the USB ports are dead.

Not knowing what to do, I hit the old reset button, and boot into my BIOS. Mouse and Keyboard work fine without any issues in the bios pages. Load back into windows, and I notice that the mouse's optical light is on, UNTIL it loads windows up. It then goes dead.

I tried taking a PS2 to USB adapter to the PS2 port, and that didn't help either. Eventually, after I leave it sit on the login screen long enough, the USB ports become active and I can finally log in and use it like normal. But it takes literally 5 to 10 minuets. I check device manager and it does not appear that any USB drivers where updated or changed.

So far, I have rebooted twice and the problem happened at both boot ups, but eventually the USB ports kick on and let me log in. After I log in everything seems to be working fine.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I have the Gagabyte 990FXA-UD5 R5 motherboard with the AMD 8 FX-8350 8 core processor. 16 gigs of DDR3 ram from G.Skill.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Solution
Ok, I have narrowed it down and think I have eliminated the problem, as a second reboot the problem came back.

I have a Rosewill Media hub installed on this machine... well not anymore. It was apparently causing the issue. It was a USB 2.0 and 3.0 interface with SD/Micro SD, and compact flash card reader. I am not sure why it was causing my system to hang at boot up, but by removing it, I have done 3 reboots and a full shut down/power up cycle without the hang up. I have not tried re-installing the media hub, as I really don't need it. The compact flash card slot has bent pins on it now, and I think that may have been causing the conflict.
the last windows update was real buggy...there been a lot of issues. first is when your mouse is working make sure there only one anti virus or malware running. if there only one installed and running go to amd web page and redownload the last 990x chipset drivers and reinstall them.

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
I use AVG free for anti virus and Maleware bytes. That's all I use. But I will look at AMD's site for chipset drives in case. I already went to gagbyte's site and all my driver's there are the latest.

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Uninstalling USB drivers and reinstalling didn't help either. I have tried 3 other times, and even did a full power cycle and connected nothing else but the mouse/keyboard upon rebooting. Nothing changed. When it gets to my lock screen, it takes about 5 minuets before the USB ports are active.

Again, this only happens when Windows starts. In the BIOS, my mouse and keyboard have no issues, so I'm certain it's a Windows related issue. And it didn't start until I got the update last night.

use msconfig or if you have windows 10 go to the task manager and go to the start up tab. turn everything off in start up tab and then reboot see if the speed is better if it is it may be a damaged program in start up. if it runs better turn the programs back on one at a time till the lock up comes back.

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Ok, damndest thing.... I just booted up my PC for the first time in a couple days.... problem was not present this time. I am going to take care of a few things online and see if a reboot brings the issue back or not...

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Ok, I have narrowed it down and think I have eliminated the problem, as a second reboot the problem came back.

I have a Rosewill Media hub installed on this machine... well not anymore. It was apparently causing the issue. It was a USB 2.0 and 3.0 interface with SD/Micro SD, and compact flash card reader. I am not sure why it was causing my system to hang at boot up, but by removing it, I have done 3 reboots and a full shut down/power up cycle without the hang up. I have not tried re-installing the media hub, as I really don't need it. The compact flash card slot has bent pins on it now, and I think that may have been causing the conflict.

Solution

007MI6Bond

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
I have the same problem m8. Yours sounds like a USB Virus. Waits a long time until USB Devices register. Wait that time, log in and run an antivirus as fast as possible. Or, in my case, just get rid of Win10. Win10 has been bugging me up real mad. Hope this helped!

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012

I just saw this reply.... kinda late I know, but I found it actually was not a USB virus at all, there was something in my multi card reader unit that was causing the issue. Once I disconnected that, everything was solid.