GPU's heat dissipation type

ChicoDeGoma

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
I would like how I determine what kind of heat dissipation have a GPU. I was reading the Cooling article here and said something about the GPU's heat dissipation. I'm planning to get a Sapphire r9 390 with 3 fans, so the only though I can reach is that I would have a 3 intake fans on the GPU.

Am I right, wrong, or what? Thanks in advance.

You are getting the sapphire nitro correct?
There are only two (well 4, ill get to that) types of coolers for cards. Reference and non reference.
Reference coolers have a single centrifugal fan that sucks air in and blows it out the back of the card.
Non reference cards, like your sapphire with 3 fans, intakes air all across the card and blows the air out the sides, back into the case.

Then there are more specific non reference cards that use water cooling, that come in two types. Full cover water cooling, which is used in custom loops, and AIO water cooling.

ChicoDeGoma

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
Correct, I'm planning to adquire this:

http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00YXSL4Z0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_8&smid=A3O6RP8HZ7L0N9

So, my future Sapphire would suck the hot air form my based-mount PSU and then it would go up to my CPU after going through the GPU. Am I right?

I'm trying to figure out where should I put my fans, since my room is VERY hot. I will have a Fractal Design S, with 2 fans fron, 3 top, 1 rear, and I don't know if I should put the last in front (3 fron will be) or in the bottom, next to PSU.

I have also this:

http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Freezer-13-Multicompatible-Sockets/dp/B0048F64DU

Horizontal mounted, that's why I'm having doubts, because if I'm right, Air should go:

PSU -> GPU -> CPU from cooler to hotter, in order to exit the case through case fans.

Well, the PSU should face down, as it intakes air through its fan, then exhausts out the back of the case. So its heat does not enter the case at all.
I would say it wouldnt matter too much where you put the intake, bottom or front. It should not impact temps too much, but you will have more than enough cooling in your case.

ChicoDeGoma

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
I though the PSU let a little of hot air inside the case, since it exhaust to the rear part, but it is a metal component too, and also though the GPU's fans intake will "suck it" from that gap. Thanks for replying that quick, mate.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not right. The psu sucks air in through the bottom and exhausts it out the back.

Best to put the 3rd intake low, so by the psu would be good. This brings all the cooler air from below and exhausts it out the top. The rear exhaust is primarily responsible for warmer air exiting the back of the cpu cooler, the 3x top fans for case heat, which honestly don't need to spin at max rpm with the cfm capability of 3x fans.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. By putting that 3rd fan high up in the front, you are actually hurting the airflow. You end up flooding the exhaust fans with cooler air blowing across the fans sideways. Best to keep intakes and exhausts separate where airflow will go upwards naturally in an even flow, not a turbulent mess.