windows failed startup after changing motherboard and processor

lvu7893

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
so i just changed my motherboard and processor, and also changed to new ram. turned pc on and it keeps showing the start-up fail. i checked the bios and positively believe i put the setting right to have boot option onto the hard drive (i use the same one as before with old rig that has windows 7). now every time i turn on it has 2 options: Launch windows repair, or Start windows normally. I chose the 2nd one and what happened every time is that it shows the windows logo start up like normal then halfway thru of that logo, it crashes into a quick blue screen with a bunch of words (it goes really fast so idk what it says) then it just restart the pc and have those 2 options again. I chose the 1st one and it cannot detect any problem and just have the only option of shutting down the pc. anyone can help me with this issue please?

Solution
Welcome, lvu7893!

Unfortunately, changing the motherboard in your computer is like changing the computer altogether. You'd need a new genuine Windows Installation for it. If you need assistance, you'd have to get in touch with MS customer support, otherwise you won't be able to boot into your old Windows 7 install.
Once you have a new OS, you should be able to install it onto your HDD and it should boot perfectly fine.

Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome, lvu7893!

Unfortunately, changing the motherboard in your computer is like changing the computer altogether. You'd need a new genuine Windows Installation for it. If you need assistance, you'd have to get in touch with MS customer support, otherwise you won't be able to boot into your old Windows 7 install.
Once you have a new OS, you should be able to install it onto your HDD and it should boot perfectly fine.

Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

lvu7893

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

Okay thanks, thats what i kind of thought that i need to install new Windows, but also, do i need to buy a new HDD and install that too or no? because as mentioned in the question, its still stuck in that stage of assuming the error of window and cannot bypass it so even if i inserted the new windows CD in then what do i do?

No, you won't need to change the HDD if it's healthy, @lvu7893!
Once you have the new Windows installation and begin the process, it will simply take care of the reformatting and partitioning of your current HDD. Making sure everything that was previously stored on it is erased. If you have any data that is not backed, I'd recommend you to copy it to another computer or storage device.
If you have any concerns about the HDD itself, you should test its health and SMART status using its manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic tool. Since you are unable to boot into Windows, you can use another computer to run the tests or use a DOS version of that particular utility.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

lvu7893

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

sorry im still new at this stuff, but so far you're very helpful, so when i get the new windows, should i change the boot priority into CD drive instead of HDD?

It's okay, that's why I'm here for, @lvu7893! :)

You can keep the first boot priority to the CD, and second to the HDD (since your new Windows install will be the CD). This is something that can be changed at any point from the BIOS. Once you have successfully installed Windows OS on the hard drive and you remove the CD from the CD-ROM, Windows will automatically boot into the HDD (as it's the next boot priority).

Hope I helped. Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD :)

lvu7893

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

sweet sauce, everything works well now, thank you! :D