Can i hook up a 4k TV if i already have two TVs as dual monitors?

jamie6737

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I have a ASUS GeForce GTX 770 with two Samsung TVs using a dvi-d to vga for both TVs, i was going to hook up the 4K TV to the PC using the HDMI port from the GPU to the new TV, will the PC recognise the TV? and if so do you think it will let me add the tv as a third monitor?

Solution

I haven't ever looked in to this in detail, but I can tell you my experience from years of mucking around with multi-monitors. Both Win7 and Win10 seem to remember settings. I have three screens (2 in portrait, 1 landscape), and when I unplug the third one it reverts to the settings I last used when I had just the two remaining screens plugged in. I know this because that puts one of my portrait monitors back in landscape mode and everything is rotate 90 degrees.

I can't guarantee that's what will happen for you...

cosmoji

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
with modern nvidia cards you can use any set of ports. there used to be a requirement to use at least one monitor with a displayport connection, but they've done away with that.

you should have no problem. power down, hook it up, turn on all 3 screens(you dont know yet which takes priority and will show the screen) and once you're in to your operating system, go ahead and set them up as you want.

The GTX 770 supports up to 4 displays, so there's no issue with the 3rd TV. The issue is with the 4K resolution. The 770 only has HDMI 1.4, which is only enough for 4K @ 30hz. That might be okay for movies/TV I suppose, but is going to be pretty terrible for gaming. Having said that, the GTX 770 is going to seriously struggle to run games at 4K anyway.

Does your TV have a displayport input? Because that would give you 4K @ 60hz. Otherwise, can you live with just 30hz on your display? I'm not sure I could, but you might be prepared to.

Nvidia was playing around with lowering the colour space to get 4K@60 over HDMI, but I'm not sure whether it requires TV/display support. It might be an option to investigate that though.

jamie6737

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

So what happens for example if i set the 4k tv to screen three, power down the PC and TV, boot up the PC with the 4K TV off, would the two TVs current configuration be saved? or would it ask me to set it back up?

I haven't ever looked in to this in detail, but I can tell you my experience from years of mucking around with multi-monitors. Both Win7 and Win10 seem to remember settings. I have three screens (2 in portrait, 1 landscape), and when I unplug the third one it reverts to the settings I last used when I had just the two remaining screens plugged in. I know this because that puts one of my portrait monitors back in landscape mode and everything is rotate 90 degrees.

I can't guarantee that's what will happen for you. But that's what seems to happen for me.

Solution

cosmoji

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015

if you mean just having the tv powered off, the pc will still see it. it will only lose connection to it if you unplug it from the computer.

i personally have my monitor and my tv hooked up. often i just have the tv on tv for background noise, but turning either the tv or the monitor off does not change my settings. which are currently the two screens mirrored.

jamie6737

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I mean if i keep the TV in standby mode and power up the PC with the two TVs on then will the PC still have the settings for the 4K TV saved?

Say if it does mess up the dual screen settings in the OS do you think a system restore will restore the settings back to a working state?

TRENDING THREADS