Failed system refresh causes laptop to constantly restart

shinghan

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
Hey people! I tried to reset my laptop. In the process of resetting it shut down due to overheating. When I turn it back on, the logo appears but no loading bar shows up. It hangs there for a few seconds and then it restarts and keeps cycling over like that. I tried to do a hard reset by taking out the battery and plug, then holding the power button for 30 seconds. I tried doing a system restore. I also tried removing the ram to see if that would work but no luck. Anyone have any ideasÉ

Here’s my specs:
– 2.50GHz 3rd generation Intel Core i5-3210M Memory
– 8GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM) Video Graphics
– NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M switchable graphics with 2048MB DDR3 and up to 1696MB total graphics memory
- Hard Drive – 750GB

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/external?l=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.hp.com%2Fus-en%2Fdocument%2Fc03501226

Solution
Which logo. The BIOS Mfg. logo or the Windows logo? Can you get into BIOS setup? Look for Maintenance tab, and find" Event Log", or "SYSLOG". See if any faults are recorded. You could try a bootable Linux CD/DVD or USB thumb drive if CD, or USB boot is enabled in BIOS, even remove HDD if needed. It could be failing "Power On Self Test" P.O.S.T. which is usually a hardware failure (it could be anything). If it passes that and Windows fails it's usually soft ware or HDD/memory. Does the fan spin when booting? Check your manual see if there's a jumper to reset BIOS default settings.
Which logo. The BIOS Mfg. logo or the Windows logo? Can you get into BIOS setup? Look for Maintenance tab, and find" Event Log", or "SYSLOG". See if any faults are recorded. You could try a bootable Linux CD/DVD or USB thumb drive if CD, or USB boot is enabled in BIOS, even remove HDD if needed. It could be failing "Power On Self Test" P.O.S.T. which is usually a hardware failure (it could be anything). If it passes that and Windows fails it's usually soft ware or HDD/memory. Does the fan spin when booting? Check your manual see if there's a jumper to reset BIOS default settings.

Solution