Fewer Larger Sticks Versus More Smaller Sticks

I frequently read that it is better to go with fewer larger RAM sticks in order to put less stress on the memory controller. The only testing that I can find was done with Photoshop at Puget Systems and they found that with a Z77 system there was no difference is total system speed, but with a X99 system, there was a minimal benefit in filling all the slots with smaller modules versus the same capacity of RAM in fewer modules:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-Memory-Optimization-182/page3

Can you show me some tests that show fewer sticks are superior to more smaller sticks?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The difference is generally extremely small, especially in a 2x8GB vs 4x4GB scenario in a dual channel mobo, the good thing on 2x8GB is more that it's less stress on the MC (memory controller) (inside the CPU), so less heat from CPU, less voltage for 2 vs 4 sticks, (also less heat there as the sticks have more air clearance. The MC having less stress with 2 sticks can also often OC a bit higher