Cannot open any .EXE files associated with any IDE

tpierret

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
Update: Problem solved, resetting the settings after reinstalling got it done. Tried it once before without reinstalling and no luck but whatever works I guess.

A quick video to give a visual example of my problem: https://youtu.be/P4Bs8eUGRY4

Thanks in advance; I'm posting this in a few places I frequent to try and increase the chance of someone knowing what I broke! This is NOT a homework problem!

My Problem: When trying to debug or directly run any .EXE file associated with Visual Studio or any other IDE, it will freeze up with the cursor in the "loading" animation and become unresponsive, forcing me to End the process via Task Manager. This started happening immediately after I Hit 'Ok' on a prompt in Visual Studio, but it appears to not be a problem limited to Visual Studio. I do not remember the exact content of the prompt.

.exe applications unrelated to Visual Studio or another IDE run just fine. I can launch, for example, WoW.exe and it will open. I can launch Command Prompt normally and it will open.

What I've tried: 1) Restarting my PC

2) Resetting settings in Visual Studio. I feel like what I reset was a specific area of settings and not ALL the settings, so if you know how to reset ALL the settings, perhaps that could help me.

3) Uninstalling Visual Studio and ~29 other small files/programs associated with it including Microsoft .NET framework and some C++ stuff, restarting my PC, THEN reinstalling Visual Studio

4) Contacting Microsoft Support, then being directed to the same place trying to charge me $500 to submit a support ticket 3 different times.

Thank you for any help you may be able to give.