Internet download speed really slow on one device

Timothy_9

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
I got an aorus x5 about 1 week ago which came with windows 8.1 which I immediatly upgraded to windows 10, but the internet dowload speeds are incredibly slow purely on that laptop, I have tested the internet speeds using speedtest.net and on my old laptop (an msi gp60 2pe) I am getting 40.23 mbps download and 7.67 mpbs upload with a ping of 17ms on firefox, on my phone (a sony xperia z3) I am getting ping 20ms, download of 26.96mbps and upload of 8.84mbps on their app, and on my aorus I am getting anything from 0.01mbps to 4.36 mbps dowload and 8.67mbps to 8.92mbps upload with a ping of 9-14ms, having tested with edge, ie, firefox, chrome and opera. I am not running any amd hardware and I have disabled bandwith control through killer network manager, however at the time of writing when I test through killer I got 4.98 and through firefox I get 1.42 (both use speedtest.net), so I would assume it is a regulator of some sort, but I can't find one anywhere. I also get reasonable speeds through steam (around 11mbps) but it is quite a way off the 35 mbps down and 7mbps up I am supposed to get

Solution
i don't know if this will help, but here's an Experience story:

friend of mine's younger brother was getting like 20mbps on a 60mbps connection during any speedtest, after some thorough searching, we found in the properties of the network adapter (same place you see 'IPv4 and IPv6' there was one called "Jumper filter driver" or something like that, after disabling and/or removing it, the speeds went up to what they were supposed to be. Since then I've seen on other computers, an Avast filter driver in the same place do the same thing.

the location is "Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings (on the left) > right click the Adapter you use, usually Local Area etc. OR Wireless adapter > properties > see if there's anything...

xeonight

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
i don't know if this will help, but here's an Experience story:

friend of mine's younger brother was getting like 20mbps on a 60mbps connection during any speedtest, after some thorough searching, we found in the properties of the network adapter (same place you see 'IPv4 and IPv6' there was one called "Jumper filter driver" or something like that, after disabling and/or removing it, the speeds went up to what they were supposed to be. Since then I've seen on other computers, an Avast filter driver in the same place do the same thing.

the location is "Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings (on the left) > right click the Adapter you use, usually Local Area etc. OR Wireless adapter > properties > see if there's anything that seems like it shouldn't be there, but don't go disabling things, because most of those NEED to be there

hope you find the problem, also, it could be something with windows 10, did you update the network adapter drivers since upgrading?

Solution

Timothy_9

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
Also I have just tried using usb wired tethering using my phone (I use wireless usually and couldn't find an ethernet cable) and over 1 bar of 3g cot 4mbps down and 1 mbps up, so I'm assuming its something to do with the wifi

Timothy_9

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
I've just tested wireless tethering and have managed 4.92 down and 1.14 up, so it is my home wifi, i've reset the router multiple times and it is working ok on other pcs, any suggestions?

Timothy_9

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015

I've sort of fixed it, I'm broadcasting the WiFi from my phone to my laptop and the connection to that is ping 18ms, dl 35.96 and upload 9.11

TRENDING THREADS