Can I Reinstall same OS with a disk

Dspan_000

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
I have windows 10 home and if i purchase another windows 10 home disk and plugged it in would it re install windows 10 normally?

USAFRet

Titan

If you already have Win 10 installed (and activated), why do you need to buy it again?

What are you actually trying to do?

Dspan_000

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

Want a clean install and I lost the key

USAFRet

Titan

How was Win 10 installed the first time? Upgrade from something else, or a clean install of an OS you purchased?

Dspan_000

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

Free upgrade but windows 8 was pre installed. But is a clean install from a USB or disk possible?

USAFRet

Titan

YES.
From the MediaCreation tool. Either create a USB install, or download the ISO and create your own DVD.
Boot from and install with that.

You do not need your old license key. During the original Upgrade, a hash of your hardware and old license key was registered at the mothership.
That is your 'license key'. During the clean install ('keep nothing'), when it asks for you to enter the license key...skip.

It will work.

USAFRet

Titan

And the 'license key' for an Upgraded Win 10 is simply a generic key. I'll bet yours is the same as mine.

Yup you are right.. So the key it shows it basically worthless now I would guess unless it is a retail version. I am assuming you did the free upgrade like 99% of people.

USAFRet

Titan

Right. Your 'license' for that Upgraded Win 10 is a hash of your old OS license and info from your current hardware.
Change the hardware (motherboard), and that is no longer valid.

But you can reinstall on a new drive no problem.