Recording/Playback Devices Broken

Nathaniel_17

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015
Hello there! I've had an issue for the past 3-4 months now where Windows 10 isn't detecting my USB headset (or anything for that matter) as a playback or recording device
LqsfHlD.png
Ufx1Ny0.png

I believe the cause of my issue was me using a program called CheVolume which allowed you to choose which application was put on an audio output (So like Chrome to my Speakers and a game to my headset). After going to Microsoft for help 3 times now, they haven't been able to fix it (I know it's not saying much :p) and I was hoping I could get some help from the people here! I have tried updating and/or resetting all of my audio drivers with no help to the problem at all. I'd appreciate any help on the matter and if you need anymore information just let me know thanks!

Solution
Restart your system several times and see if Windows finds it. Either hot or cold start.

If not, Go to Dev Mgr, click on Computer name at the top of the list, Actions, Scan for Hardware Changes.

If that doesn't work, go back to Dev Mgr, click on Computer name at the top of the list, Actions, Add legacy hardware. See if you find anything listed under the manufacturer of your sound card. Probably not.

Scroll down to Microsoft and install the generic Hd Audio Device.

That should work to get something listed under Sound.

Then try updating it from the manufacturer.

Bill

Lutfij

Titan
Could you please pass on your full systems specs while including your audio equipment? If this a laptop include make and model number and if a desktop then the parts can be listed as:
CPU:
Mobo:
RAM:
GPU:
HDD:
PSU:
and henceforth.

Is this a clean installation of Windows 10 or did you move on to the new platform via an upgrade path? If an upgrade then what was your prior OS?

Nathaniel_17

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015

It was an upgrade from Windows 7 but the issue didn't start as soon as I upgraded, it was a couple of weeks after upgrading. Here is the information you asked for.

CPU: Intel i7-4770k not overclocked
Mobo: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate (MS-7850)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 970 3GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 120GB & Seagate 600 Series 240GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Thanks for the response!

W Fallon

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Restart your system several times and see if Windows finds it. Either hot or cold start.

If not, Go to Dev Mgr, click on Computer name at the top of the list, Actions, Scan for Hardware Changes.

If that doesn't work, go back to Dev Mgr, click on Computer name at the top of the list, Actions, Add legacy hardware. See if you find anything listed under the manufacturer of your sound card. Probably not.

Scroll down to Microsoft and install the generic Hd Audio Device.

That should work to get something listed under Sound.

Then try updating it from the manufacturer.

Bill

Solution