CPU basically stops working after a couple of hours?

Xectaontwitch

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
Before I say anything, here are my specs.

Windows 10 (64-bit)
i5 4670k 3.40GHz OC'd to 4GHz
NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB
16GB RAM

So as of today, my computer has been acting weird after a couple of hours. I've been getting into Destiny a lot (the video game), and I browse the website while playing on my PS4 as my setup has my PC right next to it. And out of nowhere, Shockwave will just crash and then my computer because incredibly slow in certain ways. I can still use Facebook and Chrome basically works just fine, but any website with Shockwave just stops working.

Also, when I go to Task Manager, when I try to highlight a certain process, I can't highlight it at all with my mouse, so when I click on a process there's just this huge 2-3 second delay and every process is using 0% of my CPU.

I have no clue as to what's going on here. I don't know if Shockwave is causing my CPU to completely mess up, or my CPU just randomly messes up and causes Shockwave to crash.

Can I have some help here? And if you guys really don't understand this problem either, should I just use a recovery point for windows?

Edit: My computer temps are normal by the way, so it isn't a heating issue.

Solution
You've left out the motherboard, storage device(s) and your PSU from your specs list. I could pin the issue with a BIOS update on your system though its unclear what motherboard you have if there are any updates available. Another thing you can do is install malwarbytes and see if it detects and clans anything off your system.

If you own a motherboard with Realtek audio onboard then follow this thread or follow this article in general.

Lutfij

Titan
You've left out the motherboard, storage device(s) and your PSU from your specs list. I could pin the issue with a BIOS update on your system though its unclear what motherboard you have if there are any updates available. Another thing you can do is install malwarbytes and see if it detects and clans anything off your system.

If you own a motherboard with Realtek audio onboard then follow this thread or follow this article in general.

Solution

W Fallon

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Do a system restore to a date before it happened. I suspect an update messed with it.

Nvidia has problems with Win 10. Make sure you have the latest drivers.

Shockwave crashing is nothing new since Oracle took it over from Sun. Just restart it. there's nothing else you can do.

Bill