144hz TN vs 60HZ IPS

jamie_r

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
i am looking to buy a new monitor and have a simple 60hz 1080p monitor with a TN panel at the moment. I have a GTX 970 and run mostly cinematic games such ass Assasins Creed and some FPS games. My main question is will i see a greater difference going to a 144hz Tn panel or a 60zHZ Ips panel, as i know they look better and a GTX 970 will not be getting 144hz constsant anyway, only on some games.
Thanks to anybody who can help

Solution
Assassins Creed on PC. Might want to use that 60 Hz, you're not getting anywhere near the capability of that 144 Hz monitor. :)

In FPS games you probably are, but IPS is worlds better than TN, other than horrible and common defects with IPS panels, such as bleed, clouding, glow, etc. A huge plus to a higher refresh rate, regardless what FPS you're getting, is the reduced ghosting, pixel response time certainly isn't static, but a monitor's refresh frequency is. For a change, look at the monitors listed in this thread:

Contrast trumps everything, there is no doubt about that:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2893895/monitor-rich-colours-deep-blacks.html

Not a single person on this planet is going to prefer IPS over VA, once...
Assassins Creed on PC. Might want to use that 60 Hz, you're not getting anywhere near the capability of that 144 Hz monitor. :)

In FPS games you probably are, but IPS is worlds better than TN, other than horrible and common defects with IPS panels, such as bleed, clouding, glow, etc. A huge plus to a higher refresh rate, regardless what FPS you're getting, is the reduced ghosting, pixel response time certainly isn't static, but a monitor's refresh frequency is. For a change, look at the monitors listed in this thread:

Contrast trumps everything, there is no doubt about that:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2893895/monitor-rich-colours-deep-blacks.html

Not a single person on this planet is going to prefer IPS over VA, once they've had both infront of them. A bit bias, but the increased contrast makes it a more enjoyable experience overall. IPS selling point is colors, VA panels equal IPS as late as 2 years ago, people aren't updated yet. :)

Solution
Since you run mostly cinematic games I'd definitely get the IPS. The only need for 144Hz monitor is if you play those fps games a lot. The IPS panel will look so much better for your usage and could still be fast assuming you choose a fast one.

Which IPS panel are you looking at?