16:9 and 21:9 pros and cons

TheGleaner

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2015
hello i am just wondering what would be better a 16:9 27" or a 21:9 34" screen. I am also wondering what screen reseloution i should aim for on both, and what does it mean? Is it the size in milimeters? Could you also recomend a good screen for both options?

Thanks

EDIT I will be running 1 to possibly 2 Asus gtx 980 matrix

Budget I would like to keep it under 800$

Solution
21:9 monitors dont have the sheer multi taksing ability that two 16:9 monitors will have for the money. But unlike 2 monitors you can game across a 21:9 monitor without all the problems you come across in 3 monitor setups. Its the best compromise imo.

runesmite14

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
So, to try and answer all your questions:

Resolution: At that size, for both monitors, I would go with 1440p.
What this means is that vertically there are 1440 rows of pixels.

As far as recommending a screen, it was easier a couple years ago. Now you have the option to toss in gsync and freesync depending on what type of Graphics card you use.

You'd get a better idea of the best priced/equipped monitor for you if you provide your Graphics Card and Budget.

I personally have a 21:9 monitor, and the real-estate you have to work with is amazing.
Some online video streaming (Such as Prime Video) don't know how to fill up the whole monitor though, so you may have to use its zoom feature or rely on a third party program.

21:9 monitors dont have the sheer multi taksing ability that two 16:9 monitors will have for the money. But unlike 2 monitors you can game across a 21:9 monitor without all the problems you come across in 3 monitor setups. Its the best compromise imo.

Solution