Getting a higher resolution than my monitor supports?

GraveDiggers

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
Just seeing if its possible, i have heard people do it but its like downsampling or something and some people are saying its like overclocking your graphics card, but in this case, it can damage the monitor?

Solution
As long as you realize that you are still seeing the lower res. Pixels are physical lights. You can't magically add pixels to see a higher res. You'd have to get a new monitor. Downsampling is just an anti aliasing technique. As with computing any higher res will make your gpu work harder so will use more power. You can use dsr, go into nvidia control panel and you can turn it on and set the dsr factor there. You don't need to output at 4k, it goes from 1.2 up to 4x res. So if you are getting decent fps now, a lower setting won't have a big effect.

GraveDiggers

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015

My current specs are

16gb ram
Intel Core i5-6400 Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

and will this drain electricity? will i be able to handle it?

As long as you realize that you are still seeing the lower res. Pixels are physical lights. You can't magically add pixels to see a higher res. You'd have to get a new monitor. Downsampling is just an anti aliasing technique. As with computing any higher res will make your gpu work harder so will use more power. You can use dsr, go into nvidia control panel and you can turn it on and set the dsr factor there. You don't need to output at 4k, it goes from 1.2 up to 4x res. So if you are getting decent fps now, a lower setting won't have a big effect.

Solution