Boot ini missing

anfxlanfxl

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Hi guys

so my computer has 2 hard drives

1. ssd where window 10 installed

2. hdd where old window 7 installed

I installed window 7 on both hhd and ssd and upgraded to window 10 from 7 which was on ssd.

Problem- When I start computer without hdd or setting boot priority to ssd, it says boot ini is missing. So, I want to know if I can check where my boot ini is, and if I can change the location. That way I can boot without hdd which I don't even use anymore.

Solution

Reboot and select the propper boot device comes up when a bootloader can't be detected.. If you installed Windows 10 on the SSD with the HDD also connected, the Boot partition may have been automatically created on the HDD to save SSD space... you may have to move the Boot Partition to the SSD, create a new Boot Partition or Reinstall Windows 10 without the HDD in the computer.
Hello... There is a "FIX Boot ?" Windows repair tool... that can be run on the SSD... how to get to it, I need to think about it, it might be on the Install DVD tools... Did you make a recovery DVD as suggested by the Install instructions... the tool might be on there.

Basically you need to make your SSD OS Bootable... these will be hidden DOS level files that need to be transferred.

Boot.ini is the Windows XP bootloader... it has nothing to do with Windows 7 or 10. Did you previously have Windows XP in dual boot in the HDD?.. If you did, you may want to remove all traces of XP... use EasyBCD with the HDD connected to edit the Boot menu and remove the Windows XP entry, or to see what entries you have, renew the boot menu, etc.

Hi

If you can download a win 10 iso, and install to dvd or usb
( using ms downloader tools)

With hdd sata cables disconnected
With dvd or usb set as boot device and boot from windows 10
See if a start up repair will cure problems

Windows boot manager files are usually in a small hidden partition on boot drive
Now your ssd but may be on your hdd

I did not think boot ini was used after XP

Regards
Mike Barnes

Hello... Basically if you take your personal files off the SSD... Doing a "Clean Install" on the SSD will be the fastest and best solution to your problems... I feel you have files from XP days... from upgrades or whatever... a new install 30 mins?

Unless you like to play with file chasing and trying to re-invent/re-program your OS systems on your drives... hey I used to like to do that in the early days of DOS/Windows.... Then have FUN.

anfxlanfxl

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Sorry guys. It didn't say missing boot ini
It says " reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"
when I prioritize SSD on bios setting

If I reinstall window 10, would I need to type window key again? becuase I lost them long time ago

Reboot and select the propper boot device comes up when a bootloader can't be detected.. If you installed Windows 10 on the SSD with the HDD also connected, the Boot partition may have been automatically created on the HDD to save SSD space... you may have to move the Boot Partition to the SSD, create a new Boot Partition or Reinstall Windows 10 without the HDD in the computer.

Solution