HP Pavillion 500 Series Windows 10

TK61951

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Hi! I am trying to fix my friend's mom's computer. It is an HP Pavillion 500 series desktop. It originally had Windows 8 on it, and she upgraded to Windows 10. She says that it froze up and after a restart, it stayed stuck on the "HP" logo startup screen.

I have messed with it a little bit, trying to see what I can do. I haven't been able to get inside of it due to the side panel being held on with a torque bit. I'll need to get one of those on monday to open it up to look inside. The PSU doesn't seem to be a typical desktop one, as the cable is just like the laptop charger cables that have a powerbrick. There is no switch, so I don't see how I can do a hard boot without getting inside to reset the CMOS battery.

I have been unable to get to the BIOS, which my first guess is where I need to get to in order to try to evaluate anything. Any suggestions?

Update: Bought a T10 torque screwdriver so now I can get in the thing. I took out the cmos battery for a few mins and restarted. nothing different. I found someone with a similar issue online, and they disconnected the card reader from the header on the mobo to get it working, I did that and nothing different.

The only time I have gotten a different screen was when I didnt have the keyboard connected, then I get a black screen with a list of specs in the machine and a Press F1 to boot. GRRR!!!!

Solution
Could you get back with a model number for your HP Pavilion since the series number isn't helping with driver search. There should be a further 3-4 digits(alphanumeric) following HP Pavilion 500-xyz(x). Is this the system you're troubleshooting? The model number may be listed in the receipt from your friends mom.

Can you get into BIOS through hitting the DEL, F2, F8 or F12 keys? You could also list out the specs to your machine.

Lutfij

Titan
Could you get back with a model number for your HP Pavilion since the series number isn't helping with driver search. There should be a further 3-4 digits(alphanumeric) following HP Pavilion 500-xyz(x). Is this the system you're troubleshooting? The model number may be listed in the receipt from your friends mom.

Can you get into BIOS through hitting the DEL, F2, F8 or F12 keys? You could also list out the specs to your machine.

Solution