I sold a computer. Getting harrassed

budgy

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
4 months ago, I took all of my spare parts and made a computer. All of the spare parts were cleaned and worked great.

AMD Athlon II X3
4 GB Ram @ 1333 MHz
AsRock Motherboard
Sparkle 350W PSU
Windows XP
Old version of Microsoft Office
Old Dell flatscreen monitor
Western Digital 80GB hard drive
Radeon HD4670

I advertised that the computer is in perfect working older and is clean. The computer was good enough for streaming movies, office applications, and internet browsing; $75.

A woman bought it for her son who is in high school. I was nice enough to deliver, setup the computer, and teach the basics. You would think 2 weeks after the sale the buyer wouldn't contact you ever again. Was I wrong. After 4 months, she told me the computer wasn't turning on. I suspected it was the PSU. She wanted me to come over again and fix the computer or else she'll call the police. I told her it's her responsibility now. After 4 months, I think it would be her responsibility for repairs. The computer was working fine for me. Now I'm paranoid because she has my number and name. That was my first mistake.

Solution
You don't offer a warranty. You really shouldn't even make any suggestions. She is not paying you for customer service. So she has your phone number and your name.... What can she do? She could criminally harass you. You might not be able to stop that. She could sign you up for mailers and things (that would be annoying). She could show up to your house. All these things are criminal (not that the cops would probably do anything about it until she does it a lot). I think your best bet is to ask her to stop contacting you. Then go online or contact Verizon or AT&T or whatever and block her number. When she calls it will tell her that she has been blocked. You won't be contacted from her.

USASherlock

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
You don't offer a warranty. You really shouldn't even make any suggestions. She is not paying you for customer service. So she has your phone number and your name.... What can she do? She could criminally harass you. You might not be able to stop that. She could sign you up for mailers and things (that would be annoying). She could show up to your house. All these things are criminal (not that the cops would probably do anything about it until she does it a lot). I think your best bet is to ask her to stop contacting you. Then go online or contact Verizon or AT&T or whatever and block her number. When she calls it will tell her that she has been blocked. You won't be contacted from her.

Solution
first look up your state as is sales laws. each state has diffrent as is laws. some sates do have a min set time for a product to have a as in warranty and return. if the pc had issues the first week to 30 days she could bill you for the repair if she goes to small claims court. after 30 days most states as is warranty ends. if you think the person is reasonable and not trying to scam you. send them a register letter showing the pc was sold as and there no warranty. show them that the power supply may be the part that has failed. show them a new replacment from newegg 400w-500w good unit. let them known in the letter you replace the failed power supply at no labor change but they have to buy the power supply out of there pocket and the repair is one time only.

Depending on how you sold it and where you are, you definitely could be responsible for a warranty. Especially as putting used parts together could be considered 'manufacturing'.

You should be able to look up your state/country's consumer protection laws online, and see if they apply. Often they've got exclusions where the seller is a private individual, but I'm not sure it's always. You may need to talk to a lawyer.

budgy

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Thanks for the reply, guys. Well, here's a happy ending: I was so angry but wanted to resolve this issue. It was indeed the PSU. My friend is an IT guy and he had an old 400 watt PSU in his spare parts bin; he gave it to me for free. I fixed it for her.....then she made me dinner!!! Anyway, I hope she won't call me again.