Win10 SLI Issues GTX660

KombatVirus

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
Hey everyone,

I have 2 GTX660s. I had a single one, and just got a second and plugged it in, and boom began the problems with this troubled OS.

Whenever I enabled SLI in Nvidia Control Panel (Maximize 3D Performance, and setting "SLI Rendering Mode" to "Force Alternate Frame Rendering 2"), the troubles begin. The start menu, and seemingly everything that runs on the NEW windows shell (Such as the notifications panel, the new settings app, start menu, etc) is affected.

All the text becomes corrupted and unreadable. All icons, tiles, drop-down menus or pictures are missing or corrupted, and nothing is legible, in all parts of the system that use the new windows10 features. Scrolling the mouse over the area changes these corrupted areas, mostly just substituting one corrupted or misplaced text for another. Firefox has a spasm and goes completely black or black and white "tears" every millisecond.

Disable SLI and everything instantly goes back to normal.

Things I have tried / done:
-Booted with both cards INDIVIDUALLY and stress tested them. Both check out as having no physical problems
-Checked for and installed windows update
-Updated motherboard BIOS
-Updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers, and select the "clean install" option
-Verified that my motherboard (990FX Killer) supports SLI (it does, as per the manual)

I need help! incredibly frustrating!

Solution
"I should also mention that the only other setting I changed, was setting "SLI frame render 2" or something along those lines"

What happens when you leave this at its default setting. Windows itself does not use(or need SLI for that matter) and forcing it to isn't a good idea as you can see.

bignastyid

Titan
"I should also mention that the only other setting I changed, was setting "SLI frame render 2" or something along those lines"

What happens when you leave this at its default setting. Windows itself does not use(or need SLI for that matter) and forcing it to isn't a good idea as you can see.

Solution

KombatVirus

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
Brilliant, that actually seemed to work. Temporarily at least!

After setting SLI Rendering Mode to "NVidia Recommended", it seems to have stopped the issue after a reboot.

However, when I first updated my BIOS, it also fixed the issue until a couple of reboot cycles. I will do some further testing, and select your answer as the solution if it indeed is so.

Much obliged