Swapping CPU in All-In-One Computer (Heat Issues?)

snipza

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Hello all,

Just had a question regarding a possible upgrade I may conduct on my computer. I just purchased an AIO computer (Dell Inspiron 24 5000 series). It has an i5-6400T processor (35W). The processor in this model is replaceable/upgradeable.

I wouldl like to upgrade this processor to either the i5-6400 or the i7-6700 processor that are 65W. I edit video as a serious hobby, but not professionally. Now, I did not get far at all with Dell Chat on whether this is safe, so I am here to ask you all.

Will heat be an issue if I switch from the lower power consuming i5-6400T (35W) to a regular i5-6400 (65W) or i7-6700 (65W)? Thank you.

-Snipza

popatim

Titan
The main concern is if the motherbd used is designed only for 35w processors or if it's a 65w motherbd running a 35w processor due to thermal ability of the AIO case.
Considering the most expesnive model also uses a 35w i7-6700T I'm inclined to believe that you have a motherbd wattage restriction.

Do you have an external drive to render to? You should be rendering from one drive and saving to another to maximize your drive throughput. You want to avoid forcing a drive to read and write at the same time.