Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Dell XPS 8900 with Windows 7 Pro Nightmare!!!!Is anybody else having problems? I am on my sec

amnamn

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Is anybody else having problems? I am on my second machine and 3 time installing the operating system. Dell is telling me that all drivers on my system need to be updated... That there are incompatible issue with the Intel chipset, the wireless drivers, the graphics card and more. I've been watching them do it over a remote access connection. I have at least 15 hours of tech support and a week of lost of productivity. This experience is worse than the Microsoft Vista upgrade. The error message I get is "WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error". Then, the system reboots in the middle of working. Everying is shut down and I lose all the work (office application, email, etc.) Then I sign in and work. Then it happens again. About every 10 to 20 minutes. How Microsoft and Dell could market and sell these machines with known issues that obviously do not work is awful.

with 3 party pc start witht the bios for the unit make sure it has the widows 10 bios. then from intel web sitr download the updated intel chipset driver. or use the intel driver update to make sure you have the newest drivers. for the ethernet look at the chipset used in the device manager then google that device and windows 10 get the newest drivers from the chipset vendor.

amnamn

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Hi Rabmac,
Yes. I did upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. My system came with Windows 7 Pro and the option to upgrade. I let the Dell Premium Tech Support team do the upgrade for me over a remote connect session. Everything seemed to be working great. Upgrade went through. I added software (e.g. Office 2016 Professional, McAfee, Dropbox, Quicken, Epson all in one, etc...). Then, when I would start to use the machine, the "whea_uncorrectable_error" message would happen. System would shut down and reboot. I thought it might be a "hardware" issue, so I took the machine back to the retailer I bought it from (Microcenter) and then exchanged it for another one. Then, the exact same thing happened again.
That is when Dell Premium Tech Support then suggested I reverse back to Windows 7, upgrade each piece of hardware, then add 105 different windows patches, and then try re-upgrading to Windows 10 Pro... And then add back software. And then see if it works... Any idea why this is happening or how I could solve this issue?

amnamn

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Thanks everyone in the community for your thoughts and responses. After enough of a nightmare, I just opted to skip Windows 10 Pro altogether and stick with Windows 7 Pro, which seems to be working just fine.

lyricyst2000

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
I have an xps 8900 running windows 10 just fine. No problems what so ever. Update your bios? I also recently upgraded my work laptop from Windows 7 Ultimate to windows 10. It was relatively easy and conflict free. What you ABSOLUTELY should do when upgrading is this:

1. Backup all you data and clean your system as much as possible. Make sure your HDD is free of errors.
2. Run the update to windows 10 and allow it to download and install all updates.
3. Make a boot disk of windows 10.
4. Boot up with the boot disk and initiate a clean install of windows 10.

This is the only way to maintain your license with a clean install and the issues you are seeing are likely due to the upgraded environment.
Any decent PC tech will tell you that a clean install is the much better option.