Thread Stuck in Device Driver BSOD cant get to log-in

Nash__0510

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
A couple weeks ago I updated to a beta driver for my AMD Radeon HD 7670m graphics card because a specific stage in the game Diablo 3 was not working. This was all well until I tried to watch youtube videos and movies through vlc (the picture didn't come/was flickering), so I rolled back the driver and the movies worked again. The next day I played some Rocket League and upon exiting the game my laptop froze. I force restarted it using the power button and when it restarted I could login to the desktop but it would freeze again after about 30 seconds, this happened over and over again.

I then decided to try updating drivers again which just gave me the same result. I then tried system restores and again no luck. My next idea was a fresh install of windows thinking it would fix my driver problems by reseting them to the default drivers.
After the fresh install of windows 10 I can not even get to the login fields. The furtherest I can get is the welcome screen before the fields. As soon as I click/press a button to reveal the login fields, the windows scrolls up a small amount (to reveal the fields) then freezes and I get a BSOD with the error "Thread_Stuck_in_Device_Driver". I can't even get into safe mode as it requires me to hold SHIFT and click the restart button.

I have tried so many different "solutions" and none have worked for me. I even burnt a windows 10 iso file to a dvd-r disk and tried to boot off of the ODD but didn't get prompted with anything like I expected, instead it just starts up off HDD and I get the BSOD.

Please if anyone could help me out that'd be amazing because I haven't been able to use this laptop for 2 months now.

Solution
If your Power Button is set to Start and Shut Down (instead of Sleep or Hibernate) you have a chance.

Force the shut down, let it rest for awhile, then start again. Give it some time to start, if the BSOD appears,then hit the Power Button to shut it down. May have to do this many times.
Also try it with the ISO in.

If you remove the battery and unplug it, it will force it to shut down, then you can hold the Shift key. put the battery in, connect it and start it, that should get you to the Recovery section.

Bill

W Fallon

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
If your Power Button is set to Start and Shut Down (instead of Sleep or Hibernate) you have a chance.

Force the shut down, let it rest for awhile, then start again. Give it some time to start, if the BSOD appears,then hit the Power Button to shut it down. May have to do this many times.
Also try it with the ISO in.

If you remove the battery and unplug it, it will force it to shut down, then you can hold the Shift key. put the battery in, connect it and start it, that should get you to the Recovery section.

Bill

Solution