Looking for help with my 3x ASUS VG248Q (HDMI, DP, DP) on a GeForce GTX 980

devexityspace

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Background:

So I ordered 3x ASUS VG248Q's during Black Friday and hooked them all to 1 of my Video Cards (I have dual GTX 980s), and all the monitors work, however I am noticing a vastly different picture on the DisplayPort-connected monitors versus the HDMI-connected monitor, and not sure why. I even reset the monitor's settings back to Factory-settings (just in case), and they still look different.

2 Issues:

1] Terrible picture on the 2 monitors that are connected using DisplayPort. The display port monitors look grainier and duller, while the HDMI looks crisp and slightly brighter. Despite having all of the same settings.

2] When I try to adjust the Gamma using the NVIDIA software settings, I can see the change happen while I adjust it, but then it automatically reverts back to original. Like something else is overriding the changes? I am not sure if it's the ICC profiles that I downloaded, or something else altogether?

My setup:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE X99-Gaming 5 ATX
Processor: i7-5820K Six-Core 3.30GHz
Video Cards: GeForce GTX 980 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 (Maxwell) (Dual Card (SLI)
Monitors: 3x ASUS VG248Q 144Hz Monitors
DisplayPort Cables Being Used: Cable Matters® Gold Plated DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable 6 Feet - 4K Resolution Ready (Amazon)
O/S: Windows 10

My current troubleshooting:

I tried Calibrating the monitors using the Windows Control Panel tool, but it did not give me the picture I was looking for. After some research, I found out what ICC profiles were (Yes, I'm a newbie when it comes to Monitors it seems.... I've always just plugged and played and it was fine in the past). So I installed the following ICC profile on all 3 monitors: https://pcmonitors.info/icc/ASUS%20VG248QE%20Nvidia.icm - Still I notice a difference in quality between the HDMI and DisplayPort connected monitors.

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
I would first try connecting the third with the DVI cable to see if it makes a difference. Maybe include a picture of the difference in image quality between the 3 too.

spagalicious

Distinguished
Well if you were planning to use all displays at 144Hz, you will not be able to using an HDMI cable. HDMI supports a maximum refresh rate of 120Hz@1080p. You will need another displayport cable or Dual-link DVI cable to run at 144Hz.

I'm not sure on the difference in image quality you are describing, but this could be contributing to the disparity between the three. The monitors did not come with DisplayPort/DVI cables? Just use those and drop the HDMI.

devexityspace

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

Ahh I did not know about HDMI not supporting 144hz. As for the ASUS VG248QE, it did not come with DisplayPort cables (only DVI). So I had to order them separately. The 980 has: (1) Dual Link DVI-I, (1) HDMI 2.0, and (3) DisplayPorts 1.2.. So I could technically set-up the 3rd monitor to be DisplayPort connected as well. But it doesn't solve the problem of the different picture.