Freesync monitor with an Nvidea graphics card

Jonathan Gravelle

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
So i purchased a new gaming monitor BENQ XL2730Z. Great monitor love it however i just found out about free-sync and G-sync Technology. My luck it just so happens i have an NVIDEA GTX 970 Graphics card and the monitor had FREE-SYNC which only supports AMD cards. So heres my question, is it going to be much of a difference if i had G-SYNC? Just because iv been thinking of returning this monitor and picking up an ASUS ROG SWIFT gaming monitor PG278Q but the price tag on this thing is outrageous! its got the exact same specs as this monitor except its G-SYNC instead of FREE-SYNC. Why is it so much more expensive and are there any other monitors out there with G-SYNC that would match the price i got this monitor for? Specs would need to match the following criteria: 27" LED 2560/1440p 144HZ 1 MS GTG response time G-Sync. price would have to not be more than $800.00 CAD after taxes. Please provide model numbers. Thank you so much everyone and i look forward to your answers

CraigN

Distinguished
There'd be a big difference with G-SYNC because Nvidia cards cannot use the FreeSync functionality as it stands right now. Nvidia refuses to write a driver for it and instead is pitching its solution (GSYNC). GSync monitors are more expensive because the GSync module has a "licensing" cost.

These are your GSYNC options with your requirements

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/parts/monitor/#r=256001440&W=1500,2700&A=1&T=1

If you are willing to go up to 4ms, there's some great IPS options.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/parts/monitor/#r=256001440&W=1500,2700&A=1&qq=1

All the IPS ones have very good response times even compared to their 1 ms TN counterparts. I own the PG279Q Swift (IPS 4ms) and the PG278Q Swift (1ms) and I honestly can't tell the difference in response time.

Jonathan Gravelle

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015

Thank you very much for your input iv reviewed my options and considered going with a 4 ms ips option from acer the XB270HU. I really like the specs on this and feel iv made a good decision. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

CraigN

Distinguished

I'm really glad I found an answer to your question :) I hope you enjoy the monitor!