WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (new PC)

welker85

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($98.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($63.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($61.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($152.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $558.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-14 21:21 EST-0500

So, I, in my idiocy, volunteered to build my roommate a computer in exchange for a fine bottle of bourbon. Unfortunately, I've had nothing but problems with this build. I've built a few PCs before, but I've never had any true hardware problems, and I'm wondering if my luck has finally run out.

The computer would run fine for a bit, but then would get hit by a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. Since our initial power supply was rather weak (~450v), I decided to replace it with something much bigger, the current 750v Corsair 750m. I figured that would do the trick, because I thought the CPU wasn't getting enough power..

But now I keep getting that same error. I try to reinstall Windows, but now it seems to be hitting with the error sometime during the installation, although this past attempt I think I got through the installation (it's asking me to connect to wifi -- we're on Window 10 Home), but THEN the error pops up again. I've tried booting with the ram in different slots, with each one stick of ram, and have tried reseating the CPU -- all to no avail. I'm thinking it could be a defective GPU, SSD, MB, or CPU right now, which sucks, because it's going to be really hard to figure out if I can't get into Windows. My roommate accidentally ordered the same CPU x2, so I could test that, but I don't want to open up the other one unless I'm absolutely sure that that's the problem.

I just tried replacing the GPU with a 560 Ti, but got the same error while trying to get into Windows (again, got to the screen where I was about to connect to WiFi). Anyone have any ideas?

welker85

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Hey RARRAF, thanks for the response. Yeah, unfortunately, I've tried that. I installed the all-in-one chipset drivers, in addition to the R9 380 drivers, but was still having problems.