Closed

Desktop GPU Performance Hierarchy Table (Archive)

Here is a resource to help you judge if a graphics card is a reasonable value: The gaming GPU hierarchy chart groups GPUs by performance.

Desktop GPU Performance Hierarchy Table : Read more
100 answers Last reply
More about desktop gpu performance hierarchy table
  1. I'll add this from my own testing: 650 Ti 2GB often fails to beat a GTX 460 (the former is at least one level too high IMO), and although a 7970 GHz will easily beat one 580, it's nowhere near as fast as two so I wouldn't say it's on a par with a 590. Kinda need more divisions really in the chart, too many inbetween possibilities, and some cards are not as good as the chart suggests.
  2. The AMD 380X is not on the list.
  3. Iris Pro 6300 is missing.
  4. RCPG said:
    The AMD 380X is not on the list.

Well spotted. Also, the 380 is too high up, reviews showed it's about the same (plus/minus) as a 960. 380X should be where the 380 is now.
  5. Also missing the GTX 950, which is an important budget-oriented consideration as an alternative for those also looking at GTX 960, R9 380 or R7 370.
  6. It would be nice to see a separate chart that shows DirectX 12 support. To keep it small for now, only the GPUs that actually support it could be shown, rather than a Y/N field for all of the ones currently on the desktop GPU chart.
  7. According to most of the benchmarks around the web the 390x should be on par with the 980.
  8. Quote pulled from your best graphics cards article referring to the AMD R9 390x.
    Quote:
    "That’s enough of an improvement to battle Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 980. Except the 980 sells for quite a bit more, leaving AMD to claim our recommendation for 2560x1440 in the latest games with detail settings maxed out."
  9. This may be the case with Windows 7 and 8, but things switch around a bit in Windows 10 thanks to Nvidia botching their support for certain features in DX12.
  10. Kawi6rr said:
    According to most of the benchmarks around the web the 390x should be on par with the 980.

toms' review showed it to be significantly slower than a 980 (by that I mean a bigger difference than many of the gaps used in the above chart) in just about every case for HD and 1440p, only edging ahead in some cases at 4K (though the frame rates were kinda naff at that high a res), and of course using far more power. Biggest difference was for ACU. See:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-radeon-r9-390x-r9-380-r7-370,review-33233-6.html
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-radeon-r9-390x-r9-380-r7-370,review-33233-9.html
  11. Where would my old 3dfx Voodoo 2 fit here? I see the original TNT that I upgraded it to...
  12. Would be nice if the chart could be color-coded to show current and previous generation GPUs.
  13. I'm still running an HD 7990. Looks like I wont be replacing it anytime soon.
  14. hellcinder99 said:
    I'm still running an HD 7990. Looks like I wont be replacing it anytime soon.

Ha! I'm running a 7950 in this machine and a 77nn (7750?) in my family 'puter. Will last me a few more years, I'm hoping.

I'm waiting for the G-sync vs Freesync thing to shake out, I don't want to own a betamax monitor or GPU. :)
  15. Can't wait to see the difference when I finally get a new system in 2016. Moving on from my 9600GT will make a world of difference. I'm hoping to jump up up 13 or 14 tiers to a 980 or 980Ti.
  16. This chart is solid gold, especially with AMD re-re-re-releasing all their cards over and over with different names and price points. Even a techie can forget that a $350 7870 is exactly equal to a $130 r7 265.
  17. These guys are missing out on a great card in there line up. the R9 270.. pisses on the R7 360 and you can get the 270 for around 90 quid. Lets me run Bf4 maxed out with X2 anti aliasing no AO. gets me around 35 fps but if i lower a few notches on hungry sliders/fx then gets me 40 odd to 50, why anybody needs 100 fps i dont know. for the price of some of these cards you can get 2 R9 270's and run them in xfire and your on 100 fps all on ULTRA in Bf4, if you need 100 fps that is. I do wonder does fps affect you bullet impact speed ? o yea before i got the R9 270 i went with the R7 250 and it was terrible. not much better than the HD 5450 and thats a 20 quid card. I sent it back and went with the R9, Great decision.
  18. @Tomy-Jones101, r9 270's in 2-way xfire will definitely triple the fps, possibly beat my GTX 980 and work well on every game :pt1cable:
  19. Quote:
    This may be the case with Windows 7 and 8, but things switch around a bit in Windows 10 thanks to Nvidia botching their support for certain features in DX12.

Still too early to jump to conclusions with DX12. NVidia doesn't have proper async compute, but AMD doesn't have Conservative Raster. We still need more benchmark tools and games to test before saying X is better than Y.
  20. There are so many cards that are MISSING from the chart !
    Now where is 250X, 380X , 950 !!!! what is this>???
    Tomshardware can you please do your job properly !?
  21. Great list. I've always wanted to see such a straightforward list.

But... no mention of the GTX 650? (w/o Ti)
  22. Nice to see an updated list, however I think the R7 360 should be one tier higher. From what I've seen, that card is a good match for the GTX 750, which is already more powerful than the GTX 650 Ti. Also, the HD 7790 should be one tier higher too, as it performs just like a R7 260x (but usually has just 1 GB Vram).

It kinda surprised me that the Intel HD Graphics 530 is just as powerful as a R7 250. Hope AMD can offer an even better integrated GPU solution with their upcoming APUs.
  23. Can you add the Skylake GPUs to the Intel column for comparison? I'd like to see where the 500 series Iris and HD units rank.
  24. Really strange the GTX 950 is missing when you done recent bench test on it.

Also I hate the fact there is now a 4"x4" box with some stupid add in the bottom left of my screen I can't get rid of. The right 3rd of the screen covered with adds when is enough enough? Toms has gone to commercial it is very sad.
  25. What a great list!
    Fun to go back and see where all my old cards are.
    Would release dates be hard to implement?
    I think my first was a Viper 770? or 1770?
    was a weapon! :)
  26. Very glad to see this chart continue. Its the BEST resource ever for helping decide how to replace an older video card. Its 'three tier' rules is not perfect, but I've used it 4 or 5 times with very good results. TY for not losing it in the new format "best graphics card".
  27. Ditto The GTX 950 came out in August.... still not on Hierachy Chart yet
  28. I blame Obama
  29. Hi does anyone know the best video card performance-wise these days that can fit into an old Antec 300 case? Thanks!:D
  30. Samuel L Jackson Dinky said:
    Hi does anyone know the best video card performance-wise these days that can fit into an old Antec 300 case? Thanks!:D

Hi, suggest you post exactly that question over on the graphics/display forum. Not may people are checking this article to see new comments at this point.

Antec 300 is a mid tower case, and probably can fit just about any video card (a very long one might cause problems, but new cards tend to be shorter.)

Here is a list of video cards by performance: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html If you give your rough price range people can suggest cards, or if you only want the 'best' then look at the top few cards and see if they fit.

As a starting point, 980 Ti, R9 Fury X, GTX 980, R9 Fury, GTX 970, R9 390X, R9 390 would likely all be viable.

Not knowing your background, it's possible you will need a new power supply when you upgrade video depending on what you currently have, and it's possible your CPU is not strong enough for cards as strong as the ones above to make sense unless you are planning to carry the video card forward into another build sometime in the future.
  31. My 780Tis still hang or beat with 980s; 980s should not be above them at all.
  32. loki1944 said:
    My 780Tis still hang or beat with 980s; 980s should not be above them at all.

FWIW, your 780Ti is 1 tier below the 980. The table explicitly says to make sure any upgrade is at least 3 tiers if you want to actually see a difference. So someone using the hierarchy chart should come to the same conclusion you did.... the 780Ti is strong enough no one should upgrade from a 780Ti to a 980.

The hierarchy chart is far from perfect. The CPU is even less perfect. But the chart is the best resource I've seen to tell you if you should do the research to see if you want to upgrade.
  33. Thank you for the write ups, they really help out those getting back into the scene who have fallen out of sync with the ever changing hardware.

I did have one question/suggestion however.

I would think it would be beneficial to add a combination tier chart of CPU/GPU combinations. (or in essence, tier level charts that would place an intel i3 for example, with corresponding video cards for a level of performance that would pair well without bottlenecks.

I am currently running an i3 4170, but would like to know if i threw a GTX 970 in the system, whether or not the CPU would fall on a lower tier and cause any sort of bottleneck for the GTX 970 ( or cause frames to be lower than they could be than say if it were paired with an i5 4690.
  34. Always great, but can y'all add a simple row number? When mixing and matching multiple options, it's very difficult to keep track of what's where.
  35. 390X2?
  36. They should have a column for the AMD APU GPU performance.
  37. This is THE most useful GPU list of its kind.
    Not that it's perfectly-complete NOR it is perfectly-accurate, but this list is very referable instead of pining for thousands of numbers of GPU specification one-per-one.
    It IS hell difficult to make this list accurate, given different generations of the GPU and test bench, let alone a complete one.
    Great.
  38. True the list is great, I need to see if they ever added the GTX 950.
  39. littleleo said:
    I need to see if they ever added the GTX 950.

Since I'm the one that originally mentioned it, the answer was 'no' as of a few days ago. Whoops... it has magically appeared!

Kind of a moot point for me, since the GTX 1070/1080 speed and features (and hopefully AMD's pending release, as well) make me want to ignore the chart and budgets altogether... maybe even get an extra and put it in a frame on my shelf. Not sure how I can afford it, but I still can't keep the drool from running down my face.
  40. CerianK said:
    littleleo said:
    I need to see if they ever added the GTX 950.

Since I'm the one that originally mentioned it, the answer was 'no' as of a few days ago. Whoops... it has magically appeared!

Kind of a moot point for me, since the GTX 1070/1080 speed and features (and hopefully AMD's pending release, as well) make me want to ignore the chart and budgets altogether... maybe even get an extra and put it in a frame on my shelf. Not sure how I can afford it, but I still can't keep the drool from running down my face.

Yes the 1080 and 1070 will affect the top of the food chain but the 950 is more of a lower mid-ranged card and those interested in them probably have a budget they have to keep within, and are not the going to sub a 1070 or 1080 for them.

Of course if their release pushes prices down on all the lower models like the 970 to the 750 Ti in which case that would be awesome for budget gamers. Imagine if the 970 dropped down to the current price of the 960 and 960 to the 950 so on.
    Then we both may need to invest in bibs, lol.
  41. Not that I'm in any way knocking the list OTHER THAN the fact that it's almost (6) months out of date. Doing what you do for a living, you folks know better than I that that is an ETERNITY in gaming hardware......
  42. When it will be updated???
    This is the best list EVER!
  43. Best List EVER!
    When will they update it??
  44. Déjà vu
  45. Wonder if there's going to be a blank row or two between the Titan Z's row and the 1080's when it's added.
  46. Time to update this chart; there's a new king in town...
  47. Time to update this; there's a new king in town...
  48. This website is pretty great but doesn't get updated frequently enough !
  49. The problem is that the Hierarchy Table makes no account for the relative overclock ability of the various cards. For example. let's choose two cards from the same tier (numbers from techpowerup's testing of measured fps increase @ 1440p in gaming):

Fury-X overclocks 105.05%
    980 Ti overclocks 131.38%

That makes one card 25% faster than the other. Given that, just don't see how the two can possible be considered equal. Yes, it could be argued that every OC is different and that the table can not account for all possible variations but, by the same token, the Fur-X OC'd is only 15% faster than the 970 OC'd, so an argument could be made that they should be in the same tier.

However I do agree that it would be a difficult task to make a 2nd table for overclocked comparisons, but at the very least it should be mentioned via asterisk or notation that there are major differences between the major offerings inviting the reader to explore further.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics AMD Nvidia Intel