My EVGA Geforce GTX 780 SC runs at 50°C idle, is it normal?

leifus

Honorable
Aug 19, 2014
Hello, I have been looking at my temps recently, becuase I overclocked my 6700k CPU, then I notice that my GPU is hot when my pc isn't even doing anything(that can be graphic heavy), my GPU temprature is running at 50°C all the time, but my second one runs at 30°C idle, I dont know if SLI can make the main GPU run hotter or not, but it is wierd. So my question here is: is it normal that my GPU is 50°C at all times? and i have also tryed to overclock it, but it just deny me, even with a small increase in core clock it crashes the drivers just to test if i can get some more performance out of my baby's.

I also waiting for my Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra to arrive and I am going to switch the thermal past on CPU and both my GPUs to see if that can make a diffrent. It could be the air flow in my case to that makes the GPU so hot idle, but I dont think so.

For my computer case I got a 140mm fan in the rear of my case that are pushing air out also a 240mm radiator at the top with push pull that are also pushing air out, my inntake is in the front with 120mm x2 fans.

I hope someone can help me with this it would be great and I appriciate all the answers i can get right now :p

Thanks.

My specs:
PSU: 850W
Motherboard: Z170 Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII RANGER
CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.5GHz CPU Cooler: H100i locked water cooler
RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX Fury DDR4
GPU: EVGA Geforce gtx 780 SC x2
SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB
HDD: 2TB and 1TB

Oct 21, 2015
If the cards are a bit old the thermal paste can dry and crack and allow for air bubbles which trap heat. And since your in Sli the main GPU is doing most of the rendering. But since your at an idle; it seems like its something to do with the paste...If not, you might want to try to under clock the gpu. Or you can try the other card as the main GPU and see if that makes a difference. As for your case airflow it seems pretty decent and should not be your problem.

leifus

Honorable
Aug 19, 2014

It might be the thermal paste, when ever i get the thermal paste i ordered from Amazon and when i get it i will switch the old with the new one. I can also update this post to give you guys result about switching it out, like Max temp under load and idle both with old thermal and the new 1, to see compereson.

leifus

Honorable
Aug 19, 2014
a little update to this post, i were not paitened enought to wait for the thermal past to come so, i used something i had allready.

Stock thermal compound:
idle temp: 50°C
under stress: 80°C

Cooler Master E1 IC Essential thermal compound:
idle: 41°C
under stress: 80°C

coollaboratory liquid ultra:
Idle: coming soon
Under stress: coming soon

leifus

Honorable
Aug 19, 2014
I have tested a bit now, with the cooling paste i putted on, it seems like it reach 80 under load too, but if i take of the side panel it jumps down to 70s. So my guess now is that it is the airflow in the case that is derping my setup atm. Any opinons?