Just a new guy saying hello and a little bit about my LSx 6.0L V8 Swapped Kia Sorento SUV....

LSxPoweredSorento

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
Well.. I wanted to introduce myself (couldn't seem to find and introduction forum).
I am Craig from Mentor, Ohio. I am a car fanatic and never leave anything alone/stock. I am 35 and am disabled from a massive cyst IN my spinal cord nerves. It totally sucks!! Pain, numbness, tingling, pain, pins and needles, dizziness, did I mention pain? The Dr. thinks this is attributing to my silent migraine episodes that are causing the dizziness and other issues.... Sadly this ended my 11 year career at Lincoln Electric's Robotic/Automation division where I was an RIA Certified senior robotic technician. Ok,... Enough about me...
I recently came across this site while searching for an answer to getting rid of ads on Microsoft Edge. I actually LIKE this browser a lot!! I NEVER used IE in my lifetime... well... maybe back in the mid 90s... but I jest... I was a Firefox fan, however I don't like how it runs on my new PC. Plus all the Microsoft stuff is tied together so well on Windows 10.
Ahh yes, my new PC (I will get to the LSx Kia shortly, hold onto thy britches)
Soooooo... I had a decent PC. It was an HP with an i7 octocore. It did ok for a while but I never really did anything hardcore on it, like gaming 1080 at 60fps. So well, the thing died. It just sort of boots then dies. I had some cash from my retirement crap from my work so I figured.. I will buy a PC that will be at the top of its game for a while.
After extensively looking around I ended up buying an Alienware 17 R2 (originally all I wanted was a quick PC with a light up keyboard and touchscreen-LOL). Thankfully I have an amazing wife who doesn't really care what I do! LOL! The model I got has the touch screen and the NVidia 980m graphics. If anyone wants the whole specs I can get them! The only game I have at the moment is Fallout 4. I THINK I am running the game in ULTRA mode... The NVidia program has a special setup for Fallout 4. It drops some settings a little bit and raises the others through the ROOF! The game runs great (60fps constant) and looks awesome.

OK.. so, we are in the "Autos" area.. So you may have came to see more about this alleged LSx Kia Sorento...
Well its real and no I am not crazy, and idiot, wasting an engine, or sporting a mullet!!
Basically the story goes that the timing chain tensioners on this motor is built piss-poor. I made a video showing about all that here= https://youtu.be/HEIWU1LYIxo
After replacing everything in the timing system it lasted like 10 miles and imploded! Even though I did 2 oil changes after replacing everything (letting it idle and not flogging it) it appears that the aluminum/oil slurry that was in the engine was enough to cause some sort of catastrophic valve failure.
So I looked for a replacement engine with all the UPDATED parts so that the timing system would NOT fail again... $4500... for a long block with no accessories... <<edited for content>>!
I figured if I was going to shell out 5 grand for an engine I could put something else in CHEAPER... The 2007 Sorento HAS a truck frame! A STOUT one too. Fully boxed thick gauge frame with 6 crossmembers! So it would be a cake walk to put... say... a v8 in it.
So I found a Gen4 6.0L from a Silverado 2500HD. It is an Ly6 engine, they have the same heads as the Ls3 but with an iron block.
I also kept the matching transmission. The monsterous 6L90e. The 6L90e is the transmission directly below the Alison. It has an almost 26,000# GCVWR and a 800 ft/lb torque capacity.
The trans has NO direct drive 1:1 gear but has 2 overdrive gears. This combine with my Kia's IDIOTIC 3.333:1 rear end ratio puts me around 1,200rpm at 70mph LOL
I used an Advance Adapters trans to transfer case adapter to allow me to run a Jeep NP231 case. I wanted to keep 4wd.... Not for offroad but street traction (trust me, after driving this thing it needs it) I don't want to even get started on the POS adapter I got from them... I have nothing but foul language for them and their adapter! Basically it broke! Cheap cast aluminum and paper thin walls near machined surface.
I kept the stock axles... The look like copies of the old Toyota truck axles! I had to move the radiator forward and down so it fits under the core support instead of behind it.
I used the 2010 Camaro water pump to clear the LS3 intake assembly I used.
I also had to use a GTO front sump oil pan to clear the steering rack and the front differential setup. The pan still contacted the differential so a little cutting and aluminum MIG welding and it no longer hits anything.
There is SO much more....
I don't know how to post pictures on here but I will kindly direct you to the Facebook page I setup for the swap. Please check it out... Like, comment, etc.
Feel free to ask ANY questions here! I will be glad to answer them for you!!

<<personal info removed by moderator>>

thank you everyone!