Mini display port to VGA for TV possible?

EugeneChen

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Hi all,

I currently have 2 monitors hooked up to my graphics card but i would like to connect my TV to my PC as well.

The only spare output i have is mini display but my TV only has VGA and HDMI slots available. Would it be possible for me to use a mini display to VGA or HDMI converter? googled but got alot results saying that mini display is for apple so i'm a little confused

and if it's possible which would be preferable? mini display to VGA or mini display to HDMI? many thanks in advance!

Solution
You should be able to buy a mini-DP to HDMI converter. They are both digital formats so the results will be better than VGA. Not all graphics cards will drive three monitors simultaneously. If you have a relatively new graphics card you should be fine, but older cards are limited to two outputs.

kanewolf

Titan
You should be able to buy a mini-DP to HDMI converter. They are both digital formats so the results will be better than VGA. Not all graphics cards will drive three monitors simultaneously. If you have a relatively new graphics card you should be fine, but older cards are limited to two outputs.

Solution

EugeneChen

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015

thanks so much for the replies!

this is the graphics card i have. any idea if it can support 3 outputs? don't see it anywhere in the specs

http://www.msi.com/product/graphics-card/R7850-Power-Edition-2GD5OC#hero-specification

kanewolf

Titan
The 7850 can do 3 (or more with display port splitting). @alexoiu has pretty good advice. Using the native HDMI port may be more successful with the TV. You may have to experiment. I see other posts in this forum with people having trouble getting 3 displays working on 7850 cards, but it should work.