I'd like to play modern games on Ultra

Shocksy

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Hello forum,

I spent all of my day reading and researching and trying to come up with a good build. So far this is what I've got: BUILD.

• CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
    Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card
    Case NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed Edition (Black) ATX Full Tower Case
    Power Supply Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)

I'd like to be able to play MGSV and Witcher 3 on Ultra. I also want to use it to stream gameplay, video editing and 3D rendering. The video editing and 3D rendering takes a backseat to playing games on Ultra though, as I'm used to waiting a long time for stuff to render.

Some feedback I've received is to switch out the PSU for an EVGA SuperNOVA but I'm afraid EVGA stuff is quite difficult to get here in Singapore.

Also, I've been told to switch out the Nvidia card for an AMD R9 390. A long time ago I ran into trouble with my old AMD card when I tried to play Mirror's Edge and the game slowed to a crawl. Eventually I fixed it by disabling Nvidia's PhysX but I guess I'm still wary of AMD. Upon researching though I found out that the 390 swept the 970 across the board in all the benchmarks I looked at. Though I also found out that the 970 can be overclocked to perform the same as, if not better, than the 390 but at lower wattage. I'm not sure if I'll need the extra VRAM that comes with the 390 though.

In any case I'm not too attached to the parts inside but I'd really like to keep the NXZT Phantom case because I think it looks cool.

Some other info: I have an AOC monitor that runs at 1920x1080 that I exclusively use for games and movies. I have another Samsung monitor that runs at 1680x1050 that I use for utility. I'm not sure if it's worth it for a monitor upgrade now since I don't think this setup will run at 4k anyway. I might hand the Samsung over to my brother since I plan on giving him this computer once I'm done with the new build. Either that or I'd turn this current one into a home cinema/steam machine.

I used this website to roughly ball park my figures. But my budget is around 2-3k Singapore Dollars.

Sorry for the long message forum. Thanks for all your help!

Kevern_11

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
Change the corsair cx psu out for either a EVGA, XFX, or Seasonic Unit. The corsair cx series isn't mean't for gaming and has cheap capacitors. Everything else looks like a nice balanced build besides the fact that you don't need an i7 for gaming. You could move to a i5-6600k and get a 980 over a 970 with the cash saved.

Shocksy

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015

Hello and thanks for the advice! Would it impact my settings at all since the i5-6600k doesn't have hyperthreading?

Also, I've been looking at the prices for the GPUs around these parts. How low do you think I could go and still hit Ultra? Would one of these or these be up to scratch? These two look similar but according to GIGABYTE's own website the core clock is different and one has more display ports. Does that matter at all?

Apologies for the additional questions and thank you!

Kevern_11

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
Games atm don't really utilize hyperthreading. It only matters if you use display ports, and a core clock difference doesn't matter considering you can overclock it yourself. And yes the 960 will max out most games. Take the cheaper one.