Movie Theater Question (3D screens)

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
I want to see the new Star Wars film, and my local theater offers it on standard screens as well as "IMAX 3D" and "Real D 3D". I haven't been to a theater in ages and I was wondering if someone could explain the difference between the two 3D options, and which you think would be best to watch it on... also, do both options require you to wear those awkward 3D glasses?

kanewolf

Titan
Any 3D displayed on a 2D surface will require glasses of some kind to trick your brain. The glasses keep one eye from seeing what the other is seeing. That is how your brain is fooled.

Here is a CNET article comparing the 3D systems -- https://423digital.wordpress.com/2013/01/06/reald-vs-imax-digital-3d-whats-the-difference-cnet-asia/

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

Ah so they both require glasses? For some reason I thought one of them used multiple projectors to create a slight 3D effect (not really 3D though) without requiring you to wear glasses... I'm just afraid having those big glasses on will prevent me from being immersed in the movie, but like I said I haven't been to one in a loooooong time

All 3D systems on the market right now require glasses, with one exception, 3DS. The reason being that unlike the single user 3DS, the rest have to deal with a hundred different people viewing the screen. If you want to avoid "big" glasses, go with a passive system like the RealD one, since the glasses are less than an ounce and are simply two orthogonal polarized sheets. Some IMAX theaters also use the same style of passive glasses, but some use shutter glasses instead.