New power supply no display

NotAComputerGuy

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
So today I bought a new graphics card from Best Buy, I bought a EVGA GeForce GTX 950 SSC for around $200

When I came home to install it, there wasn't away to connect it to my CX750M Corsair Power supply.
Computer turned on just fine, and displays worked but I was greeted with "please connect pci-e cord" or something.

I couldn't figure out away to connect it to my power supply so I went back to Best Buy to talk to some tech dude (not geek squad)

And he told me I needed a new power supply that could support the new graphics card.
He looked through all the power supplies and picked a cheap one out for me and I was on my way.
Came back home an hour later and hooked up the power supple to my MSI mother board, plugged the now "pci-e" cord into the graphics card, hooked up the courage cord,
Plugged in the cord to the ssd that had Windows 8.1 installed, and plugged it into the disk drive.

The computer turned on, the Mobos lights came on, and fans started up.

Everything expect for lights on keyboard and mouse and the displays are working.

I unplugged the power supply and put the old one in and sure enough it worked again.
Displays and all.
Then I plugged in the new power supply and sure enough displays won't work.
I've even hit the reset button and power button thy are ON my Mobo.

Nothing seems to work and I'm kinda pissed off I spend $300+ today for what seems like nothing....

So monitors work fine,
And Mobo isn't fried, wtf is going on with this new power supply???

My new power supply is a ThermalTake 600wat TR2

Please help me!!!

So you got scammed by the Best Buy guy. All you had to do was plug the PCIe power cable into the GPU.
s-l225.jpg

Also, that Thermaltake is a lower quality unit.

NotAComputerGuy

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Well I never had one of those cords , and I asked him if they had one, I realized as I was buying the ThermalTake power supple that it was a lower wattage but figured the 600 wattage would be enough as long as I could use my new graphics card until I figured out away to get a cord.

I still don't understand why the power supply won't even show a display on my screen and I know nothing is wrong with my Mobo so I'm assuming the power supply has a broken cpu or pcu (what ever the cord that connects to the Mobo is called)
I'm gonna try and get a refund , kinda pissed but have no where else I can buy power supplies except for online but I don't have a credit card until January 5th, pretty lame honestly.
But like I said the graphics card only came with a 4 and 4 pin connector and didn't come with a pcie cord, :/
But now that I know I can actually buy one How much will one of these run for?
Could I go to a computer store and trade them my power supply (thermal take) for a cord?
It was a $50 power supply but I honestly wouldn't care if I traded it for a $7 cord lmao
I just want to play battle front and shit

NotAComputerGuy

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

I can assure you it doesn't,
Maybe when I got it a long ass time ago but idk what happened to it I don't recall it comming with one.

The only cords it has are the 24+ pin connector that connects to the Mobo,
And the 8 pin cord that connects to the cpu or pcu on the Mobo.
Then there's a cord that I connect to the power supply that I can connect to a hard drive,
I guess while putting in the new power supply I lost my other cord that goes from the power supply to my disk drive, weird.
But yeah no cord pci-e cord

NotAComputerGuy

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

Oh dope didn't realize that,
No i built my own computer and my friend built his own and we traded essentially because mine didn't come out as expected and I didn't really know what I was doing when I did it.
As stupid as it sounds.
He placed the the Mobo and power supply and ssd, everything else i put in it.

Can I find this cord somewhere?

NotAComputerGuy

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

It was like a year ago and I don't have communication with him anymore, is there another way I can grab one of these cords??
Like would people be able to sell the cords at computer shops or online , would I just look up pcie cord or something?

NotAComputerGuy

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

So I was looking through their products and they don't even sell the cx750m only the cx750
I looked through accessories and I'm a little worried to make a purchase, you mind taking a quick look to find which one I'll need? I also need a cord that'll hook up to a hard drive, thanks so much for the help!