Help Me Decide : Elgato HD60 Pro or Upgrade On My PC ?

rdawg16

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
the main reason i want to get the Elgato HD60 Pro is for my youtube channel. I benchmark games and upload it to youtube but recording with a software like raptr, action, bandicam, dxtory, obs or any other game capture software has 5-10 fps drop when recording and that really bothers me cause i want to show people what fps i actually get but that has not been possible ever. I have tried so many things to lower the fps drop like using amd's video codec VCE and more stuff like that but its common sense cause most of the recording software uses cpu and gpu for VCE codec but the point its not possible to get less fps drop when recording i mean you could lower the video quality to get no fps drop but i want to record at high quality 60 fps without any fps drop. Another reason is i sometimes stream on youtube or maybe twitch. (I am talking about my amd pc i don't have this issue with my nvidia pc cause my channel is mainly for my amd pc)

I have 2 PC's

My First PC Specifications:
CPU : Intel Core I5 4690k Overclocked @4.4ghz
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212
GPU : GTX TITAN
RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb (2x 4gb) and Kingston HyperX (2x 4gb) = 16gb of total ram
MOBO : MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
PSU : Corsair CX600M

Second PC Specification :
CPU: AMD FX 8350 overclocked @4.6ghz
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212
GPU: Asus R9 280x
RAM: 12gb (4+8) corsair 4gb 1333mhz and hynix 8gb 1600mhz but both ram's are running at 1800mhz
MOBO: ASRock FATAL1TY 990FX KILLER
PSU: Corsair TX750 Enthusiast Series

What Do you think should i rather make changes to my PC's or get the elgato hd60 pro ? i currently have $140 to spend so should i spend it or save it for something else ?

rdawg16

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

but i have to buy new motherboard too if i aim for zen

Chayan4400

Honorable

If you are ONLY doing benchmarks, then the HD 60 Pro is worth it. It will reduce the FPS drop, but may not remove it completely. However, since you also do streaming, then a GPU upgrade would be more beneficial. If so, sell your 280X for $160 and get a R9 390:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($314.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $314.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-20 07:04 EST-0500

Software recording always causes FPS drops one way or another. What most people do is note in the video description how much of an FPS drop they got while recording that game. IMO, I'd get a 390; a 5-10 FPS drop is quite decent, and it would help with your Twitch and Youtube gameplays.

On a side note, do change that PSU on the Nvidia build. It is barely enough for your build even when unoverclocked, leaving aside the fact that it is totally unsuitable for a high end enthusiast build like that (It has low quality components, ranks Tier 4 on Tom's Hardware's PSU Tier List and is rated 80+ Bronze only at 30C when it is almost certainly getting hotter. It is only a matter of time till it fails when under load; I'd hate to see it fry your Titan and 4690K when it does fail)

Change it to an EVGA 750W B2:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($56.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $56.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-19 15:26 EST-0500

It's a steal at that price. Excellent quality, superb performance and plenty of power even to overclock both the Titan and the 4690K. Made by Super Flower, one of the best OEM manufacturers of PSUs.

You will indeed need a new motherboard for Zen, but that's what you are saving for. To me 'saving' is a bunch of growing money for future use. 'Putting aside' is a fixed amount of money for future use.

Games use mainly 4 cores, so if you have 60 FPS on your AMD PC, then you could use the additional 4 cores for recording, you could avoid FPS drop due to the CPU.

As for the GPU, you could try upgrading the 280X(it's not very fast as compared to the cards that people use for these purposes, such as your Titan, or a 780Ti or R9 Fury. It'll be showing its age in modern titles. A dedicated capture card could actually help then, IF the 280X becomes a bottleneck.

rdawg16

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

yea i have been planning to change the psu but never did and what you said about the gpu sounds interesting i never really thought about that. I have heard that the hd60 has great amount of delay as it connects through usb so thats why i was thinking about getting the hd60 pro as it connects in the motherboard in the PCIe slot and there is zero delay. Thanks for your suggestion man it really helped me and changed the way i was thinking, really appreciate it :)

rdawg16

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

thats what i thought but it uses all the cores when its recording :/ and for the gpu i am still thinking about it

rdawg16

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

but nobody knows how powerful the zen is going to be don't get me wrong but they have already said that they are out of the performance race (over 2 years ago), it may catch up some but more likely they will not equal Intel. They would need about 50% performance increase for that.

You are right, I do not expect them to surpass Haswell, but they are likely to be well priced, and a four module unit with the performance of an Ivy Bridge+ (per module) is worthy of consideration at the right price.

rdawg16

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

agree but lets see what happens

Back to the OP's original question. There is no CPU or CPU/motherboard upgrade worth doing at this time. Get the card or save the money, or spend it elsewhere. While a GPU upgrade is good, there's nothing worth getting for the available budget of 150.

rdawg16

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

that's exactly what i am thinking so yeah i will just save the money :) thanks