Monitor looses connection to System.

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
This has been really, really annoying me recently. 90% of the time my monitor looses connection in games, the other 10% just on the desktop or in an application. It rarer to see it happen on the desktop and almost never happens but when it does....

Somethings i've tried:
Updating drivers for chipset and GPU.
Try using a DVI connection instead of HDMI.
Try using my IGP.
Re installing RAM modules.
Testing monitor on different system.
Trying a different PSU. (Cooler Master 700W regular 80 Plus certified.)
Tried both overclocking RAM, GPU & CPU at a multitude of different profiles.

What more could i try? Im open to all sugggestions.

I've monitored all my temps and nothing reaches 70*C at all. Even with my phone monitoring everything while in game, nothing seems werid.

However when it happens MSI afterburned on my phone records this. (Image)
86c1fd65a00cbac318cc4a07aef57e1d.png

If the image doesn't show, all the stuff like power, usages results go insane and the clock speeds go to 0. VRAM usage is random i think or what it was using.

Also, the MSI logo usually goes off too when i loose connection.

If required, here are my specs:
CPU: i5-4690k
GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB Gaming
RAM: Corsair 2x4GB kit Vengeance RAM
MOBO: MSI Z97 PC Mate
Storage: Seagate 1TB SSHD 8GB Cache
PSU: EVGA 600B (600W) 80 Plus Bronze Certified

Contected peripherals:
USB Mouse - S101 Gaming keyboard and mouse kit
USB Keyboard - S101 Gaming keyboard and mouse kit
USB Headset - Phillips Gaming Headest Pro (SHG 7980)
Ethernet

I built the PC myself.

Could it be that my Monitor doesn't support windows 10 for some reason? Dont remember this happening much on windows 8.1

-Update-
Should add that nothing is overclocked.

Hello... A monitor is a Passive device, and no driver or communications are needed... for example, if I would un-plug or un-power my monitor, Windows would not crash... or I can boot to Windows without a connected or powered monitor.
1) It could be your Monitor... PS's, Chips, and circuits in the Monitors/TV's have typical mass produced/cheap parts problems.
2) it could be your Graphics card.

Substitute these items with the same problem causing APPs... what changes?

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

I dont really get the question. Sorry. What do you mean?

Hello... 1) I suspect your Monitor is failing... try another Monitor to test my theory.
2) I suspect your Video card could be at fault... try another video card to test my theory.

Test these with your System... Does the problem continue or different problem when changing these parts?

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

Ahh right..... I see.... How did i not get that....

Anyway, I too suspect the graphics card, but its weird since the IGP doesn't work either.... Anyway, I'll try another GPU (My spare R7 250) but it might be a while till I report back, it doesn't happen instantly.

Another monitor (Or TV in my case) didn't work.

Hello... since the IGT showed the same problem... BUT... did you disable/remove the VIDEO CARD for the IGT test? this would be a better test without it physically installed.

Another place to check "since a different OS"... LOOK at your Win10, Monitor AND BIO's power settings for the GPU and monitor... B )

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
Want me to try my 970 on another os? also, look for those 3 power settings, my monitor has nothing regarding power actually and windows is on High performance settings regarding power. However i have yet to check my BIOS.

Okay ill do that after the test. Had a werid problem with my R7 not working with my MOBO. Its fixed.

-update-
No i hadn't removed my graphics card when testing it. I'll try and test it after R7.

Hello... Try your last HDMI input on your TV... set it to up for 1080P 60HZ... and you should be able to boot to the Intel IGT/MB or GTX770 no problem... it works with one of mine GTX760's and 37" 1080P 12 year old Sharp TV... I can STARCRAFT game on it with no problems.

I am not a win10 user yet and SP1 is not out yet... and Win 7 64 SP1 is rock solid for my use... So if ya got a spare HD around try Wins7 SP1 ISO install to see if it is a WIN10 driver problem/Test... I use an older Driver 337.88 because it works with my hardware and system, Rock solid... Driver Updates?... "if it ain't broken... don't try to fix it" ...When fixing OS problems I find the Auto updating feature caused the problem.

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
Okay... I poked around in the BIOS looking for things GPU/PCI and Power related. I found the following.

I changed this related to "Power Management"
5bd13db6de67560dd8f42478dc6a1673.jpg

Not sure what it is, but i think i turned it off before for some reason without reading it correctly. Looks like it should be on. Was 'Off' > Now 'On'

Didn't touch this one but you might find it more useful than me, the last listed one. I'm aware off what the top one if of course.
4dd23d16b1371548baae82d365eac37d.jpg

What should i do next? Look for a more stable driver version?

Hello... Are you overclocking the CPU, Mem, OR the PCIX lane? don't do that... in the digital world "everything is timing/clocks" So as a "simple test" run your MB and CPU at default please... #1 rule in fixing anything... Auto is good for everything.

I see a lot of complaints here so far with Drivers and Win10's... that's why I Win7... I depend on a stable income and life with my PC's... Companies and people's $$$ life depend on stable PC's and systems... and typically are the last people to update a OS system.
What is your situation here?

Try a re-post with like "need Good working WIN10 MSI GTX 970 4GB Gaming Driver"... and see if you get one.

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
No to the first question. No overclocks are active... Shame really.

I'ma test to see if the card is still doing its thing after switching on EuP 2013 and reinstalling it. If it happens again. I'll reset my BIOS to defaults...

Now that i think about it too. I did update my BIOS since it had a tweak with Windows 10. Maybe that's it?

Anways, ill be gone for a bit testing my card. Report when its had a good enough test.

Hello... I was going to suggest cleaning the Video card Contacts with rubbing Alcohol before you put it back in: TOO Late B )... Sometimes just plugging in does a cleaning... there are a lot a small gold contacts there and a lot of heat... make sure when you tighten your card down to the case it does not twist position to the MB slot ( mis-alignment)... adjust GPU bracket for best contact. I find Video cards need to be cleaned plugged in a couple times to get them to work at times... B)

1) Try Older drivers for your Win10 from the Maker/MSI of your VIDEO card... Some cards could have a special/different BIO's/hardware setting in it changed... and a generic NVIDIA driver will not cut it.
2) try a different/FLASH, Firmware/bio's version on you video card.

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
On the MSI webpage, they have for Win10 64 version 355.82. I guess this is the most optimal one instead of the latest 359.06 which i have installed. So far though, i've been running games for a bit and nothing. It can still happen though.

Just wanna say now, thanks for your support, i appreciate it.

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
It happened again... Im really starting to loose it. I can go hours and sometimes a day without this problem. But when it happens once, its most likely to happen again.

What can i do now. I've tried the default BIOS option and still am, yet it still happens? Could it be my motherboard? its not the most premium mobo, but not too cheap.

Also, i've noticed that when this happens my msi gtx 970 basically turns off. The lights and fan both go off.