Neither SSD and HDD not showing up in boot priority after reinstalling Windows 10

CloudTwoNJ

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
I recently reinstalled my OS in order to fix a certain issue I was having with my system throttling it's internet on games (see help thread here) which solved my issue, but started another, although less annoying, issue.

Whenever I boot my computer after shutting down or restarting, immediately after BIOSit displays an error claiming it's unable to find an operating system and that I should press any button to restart. Upon pressing any button the screen with go dark for a moment, and then it will load up my SSD's Windows 10 partition. If I go under BIOS, I can see that neither my SSD nor my HDD is shown under the boot priority, but both show up under the boot management (F8) tab and work perfectly while booted. I already tried setting my SSD as "active" in diskpart, but that never solved the issue.

If anyone has any ideas as to how I can make my system recognize my SSD again, I'd appreciate any ideas you may have.

Solution
You're welcome! :)

True, the activation key is bound to your hardware on your motherboards UEFI. SO if there is a component added or removed after an installation of Windows 10 then that's where the rain water came from :p

Lutfij

Titan
Could you please pass on your full systems specs?

Try and perform a clear CMOS or remove battery from motherboard for 5 mins and replace and see if this does anything. Mind you resetting BIOS will require you to dial your old settings back in again. If its a laptop try and remove battery and the connector from the brick/wall for a few minutes before reconnecting.

CloudTwoNJ

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015

My system specs are as follows:
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0;
CPU: AMD fx-8350;
GPU: MSI R7 260 1GB;
RAM: 4x4GB sticks making 16GB;
PSU : Corsair X500 (500 watt);
SSD/HDD: Sandisk 240GB SSD(primary) and SeaGate 500GB Hard Drive (Secondary);

I'll try removing the BIOS battery and get back to you with the results once I'm able.

CloudTwoNJ

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Really sorry about not getting back to you after that, I completely forgot with the chaos of Christmas. As for the issue, I actually managed to fix it via a completely separate means.

The problem started happening following a previous issue my computer had, which lead me to unplug my HDD and my CD Drive temporarily. After letting one of my family members borrow my CD Drive, then plugging it back into my computer, it no longer showed the issue.

I had a similar problem to this in the past, as Windows 10 seems to be really weird around what components you have plugged in at the time of being installed. If you don't have all (or at least, most of what it deems to be important) components plugged in, as they were when the OS was installed, it seems to have trouble identifying the system upon initial startup.

In a nutshell, when suffering from this issue in conditions similar to mine, make sure all components that were plugged in at the time of installation remain plugged into the system.

Thanks again for your help in this matter, Lutfij.

Matter resolved and thread ready for closure.

Lutfij

Titan
You're welcome! :)

True, the activation key is bound to your hardware on your motherboards UEFI. SO if there is a component added or removed after an installation of Windows 10 then that's where the rain water came from :p

Solution